• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Working at an apple store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
I'm wondering what type of career experience I would need to work at an apple store. I have never worked anywhere "officially", but have worked "under-the-table" so to speak, painting, mowing lawns, landscaping etc. What are they age requirements, if they have any?

If anyone has interviewed or has knowledge of their criteria that would be a great help.

Here's a little about me
17 years old
Passionate macintosh and apple product user (obviously)
very good grades
Captain of the school Ice hockey team
very self confident, good people skills

Do you think they would even consider me without any job experience, or would they just shrug it off as another unmotivated teenager?

OP
mikepugs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've looked at that exact page, but it doesn't have any age restrictions or really recommended experience levels for the positions. I guess that means there aren't any, but I would doubt that.

I'm more just looking for advice on whether it's even worth the effort. I guess anything is possible and I have nothing to loose so what the heck eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
If you are passionate about Mac hardware and software then that should be enough for an entry-level position, hopefully. The people skills will help and since you get good grades, I would assume you'd be good at making change and messing with different types of payments that customers use (this will be the most annoying part of any retail job, aside from the customers themselves). I know that there is no IQ test involved to become a "genius", so they don't require actual geniuses for that position.

Go down to the store and put in an app!

Reaction score
I applied online and I'm in the same position as you in terms to age (18 in a few days :), interests etc. I applied for two stores which are pretty local about 3 months ago and haven't heard since. I would give it a try online if you ask in-store about jobs they will just tell you to apply online.

OP
mikepugs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did the stores you applied to have open positions? As it shows only a few of the PA stores when I look at it as having positions available... I guess that's a must though to apply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
My advice is to call the store, introduce yourself to the manager and tell them you would like to come work there. Any manager worth their salt would agree to interview you, even if there are no current positions available. Retail is a high turn-over business, and the management will never know when they might need someone decent to hire quickly.

Don't just fill out an application and let it sit in a pile - call the store and ask for the manager, then offer to buy him or her a cup of coffee to talk about working there. You have to differentiate yourself somehow to get noticed, if you can swing an interview you stand a much better chance on getting a position - rather than leaving it to luck in a pile of resumes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Did the stores you applied to have open positions? As it shows only a few of the PA stores when I look at it as having positions available... I guess that's a must though to apply.

I would recommend going to the store and applying. I applied to 3 store online with one application. I never heard a call back. I did put a resume together in 10 minutes using the TextEdit app so that might have hurt me.
It's a considerable drop in pay compared to my current job so I didn't try too hard. I was told starting pay is like $10.

Reaction score
That would be a fun job.
I would be freaked out someone would ask me something and i would have NO idea.

lol. I would just respond "Buy a brand spankin new mac!!!!And an iPod while your at it. ANd an iPhone, and a copy of iLife, and some cases and skins and docks, buy it all!!!Who cares if you go into debt, you'll die eventually either way, then its not your problem!" lol. i would be horrible at sales. hehe.

But Mike-you should just apply. Maybe in person and online-idk, ive never applied for anything before i have a couple of years yet.
Even if they call you back and laugh in your face and hang up-you only live once. Even if you just sweep the floor at night-Maybe you can sneak onto the cutting edge macs ;)
Tell us how it goes.
We all want you to apply!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.