• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

movie formats

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook, 2.2GHz , 2gb RAM, 160gb HD. iPod 5g 30gb
is there a way to play avi movies on the mac ??

if i remember rightly a windows computer with quick time would allow them to be played there- does that still apply here?
ive tried both avi and mpeg4 but only the mp4 works with the avi just playing white with no sound--{what bout wmv?}

also can you somehow get the front row player to play movie files straight from the ipod??

(oh and same question for front row as for quick time if thats not to confusing)

thanks for this i am new but i thought this would do better here than in switchers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Search the forums for "Perian" and maybe "Flip4Mac" if you don't have that installed yet.

OP
Immune Heart
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook, 2.2GHz , 2gb RAM, 160gb HD. iPod 5g 30gb
what about playing directly fromipod to frontrow??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
VLC is the way to go. I have flip4mac installed also for internet plugins when you need it, but any downloaded movies I would use VLC. Unless you have quicktime pro it's better - free, with some of the features of QTP. (i.e. full screen mode etc). VLC supports .wmv as well.

Flip4Mac is the best .wmv player plugin, as it also allows you to view wmv movies out of safari (well, it opens a little quicktime pane, but at least it plays).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93 GHz 12GB RAM
is there a way to play avi movies on the mac ??

if i remember rightly a windows computer with quick time would allow them to be played there- does that still apply here?
ive tried both avi and mpeg4 but only the mp4 works with the avi just playing white with no sound--{what bout wmv?}

also can you somehow get the front row player to play movie files straight from the ipod??

(oh and same question for front row as for quick time if thats not to confusing)

thanks for this i am new but i thought this would do better here than in switchers

You can also download DIVX and XVID (not for all versions of OSX) codecs for QT. You can watch most movies with either Quicktime and the correct CODECS or Varian. I have been able to watch everything I have so far. Mind you I have not tried WMV (why would I? I'd feel like I was cheating on my MAC :Oops: )..

Les

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Intel Core i7 2.93 GHz 12GB RAM
Perian Not Varian

You can also download DIVX and XVID (not for all versions of OSX) codecs for QT. You can watch most movies with either Quicktime and the correct CODECS or Varian. I have been able to watch everything I have so far. Mind you I have not tried WMV (why would I? I'd feel like I was cheating on my MAC :Oops: )..

Les

I meant Perian..... Sorry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.