Battery and Keychain problems. (2 problems for the price of one!)

Reaction score
I've just been given a macbook that belonged to a family member, and been told "its not working, you are good with computers (PC's!) fix it". Having no idea how to do so, I reckoned I would take my chances here.

This macbook to my knowledge has spent most of its time plugged in, very rarely having to rely on the battery for a power source, a few minutes at most. It has for a while, been giving inaccurate readings about how charged the battery is (Running out of power while it claimed 40% battery life remained), however it has now stopped charging altogether, instantly going into standby the moment the power lead is disconnected. is this a case of inaccurate readings about how much life is really, or is the battery pretty much screwed? Even now, its giving completely off the wall readings, claiming 2% battery life one minute, 66% the next.

I reckoned my first step to fixing this would be try to update all the software on the computer, on the off-chance that it could be a firmware issue, only to find I don't have the password for the keychain. They claim that they have used the same password in everything (It works for the "Login" keychain) but every time I try to use it for any other keychain "Microsoft_Intermediate_Certificates" , "FileVaultMaster", "System", "X509Anchors" and "System" (A second one) it simply says my password is incorrect. Is there any way of finding that master password again, or should I be phoning apple?

Thanks in advance for any responces I get. :)

Reaction score
Keeping a laptop battery constantly "charging", aka plugged in deteriorates the battery lifespan greatly. As such it sounds as if the battery has had it's day (this happened to one of my PC's once). Best buy a new one from eBay, or to make sure... go to an apple supported reseller/shop and ask to check one of their batteries.

From there on remove the battery (or keep the old one in) when plugged in for long periods of time.

With regards to Password, I leave that open for someone else :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.