Nu here, I have A few Questions

T

TripSta

Hi, Could someone help me.

I have an old Beige G3 233. 256Ram 40Gig no usb.

1. Can I install OSx?
2. Can I install any usb card?
3. Is there a way of making my processor faster by changing jumper settings? Or can I buy a faster processor?
4. If I can buy a faster processor, Whats the fastest?

I have been using this machine for 6 years now as the core computer in my studio. I will update to G5 at some point, but until then, any advice would be great.

Thanks, I know these are silly questions, that everyone probably already knows.....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I also have a beige G3 233Mhz 384MB 40Gb. I install a firewire/usb pci card. It run OS X 10.1.5 with not problem. I have not tried to upgrade the OS to any thing later. With the speed of the process I don't think it will work any better than it does now. You can go to Accelerate your Mac, they should be able to suggest ways to upgrade your G3.

OP
T

TripSta

Thanks.

Another question:

Does OSx improve the computers performance or make it slower?
- I ask because ive noticed Windows XP improves in speed of older pcs over windows 98-

OP
T

TripSta

You guys are fast, thanks.

Is overclocking dangerous, or complicated to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I think 10.1.x is likely the highest for 233. 10.2.8 is the highest I have seen on a G3 333

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Send me a PM. I have a similar machine, and I've been working at upgrading it as well. I can give you some help and some first-hand experience. :)

To answer your questions though:

1. Absolutely

2. Yes

3. You can overclock it via the jumpers for free (which I've done very successfully), and there are also a number of processor upgrades.

4. I believe the fastest currently available upgrade is 1Ghz G4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.