Opinions: Macbook or Macbook Pro?

Jez

Reaction score
Hello i wonder if you good folks would help me out with some opinions on what Mac i should get next?

I am a freelance web developer, so use mostly Dreamweaver, Photoshop and Illustrator. Being freelance i am at 2 different places throughout the week so thinking a laptop would be handy to take to both and keep all the work on it.

Now i like how small the macbook is but am concerned with the power of it? Thus looking at the macbook pro but not so keen on its size.

At home where i work part of the week, i have a MacMini (MacMini G4 1.42G 512RAM ) which is fine just alittle slow when say i have photoshop, dw and illustrator open. The rest of the week i use an iMac with 2Ghz intel core and 1Gig of Ram and find it quite quick with no problems.

So what would be best, would a macbook be quick enough or not? I used one for some work with low specs and it was slow, would a higher spec one be ok or should i really just ignore that and go straight for a Macbook pro?

Thanks for any opinions :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
At home where i work part of the week, i have a MacMini (MacMini G4 1.42G 512RAM ) which is fine just alittle slow when say i have photoshop, dw and illustrator open.
That explains the lag when you have all of those apps open.

But, if you are professional then a MacBook Pro is the machine for you.

OP
J

Jez

Reaction score

As money could be an issue is the basic macbook pro pretty decent and quick for what i have described?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
well a macbook is ok for most of that work i have just finished a course using all of them programs and a macbook did me fine but i have just gone for an upgrade to a macbook pro and i must say its doing well but i went for a 2.4 as i dont think the 2.2 is woth it with the worse gfx card and slower cpu u dont save that much for what you miss out on.

but if you go for a macbook get your self 4gb of ram and it will do a good job if you can afford it go for a pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
I guess it boils down to what you're planning to do with it...

For me: I've had numerous laptop/notebooks and my current MB is my first Mac-anything. I went straight for the MB because I wanted portability (my first ever laptop was powerful but a huge monster and more like a desktop replacement than a laptop), so size was a huge factor for me. Plus I don't use it for games (I have my PC for that), and mostly I just do web design an stuff on the MB so I didn't need a really powerful graphics processor.

But whether you decide on a MB or MBP, I definitely recommend 4GB of ram. I find myself using 1.5+ GB on a regular basis so having 4GB around really helps -- plus, memory prices are relatively cheap these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
plus, memory prices are relatively cheap these days.
just make sure you don't buy extra ram from apple ;)
$1,000 for 4gb :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook white, 2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo Pro, 2 GB RAM, 13" screen
I do the same kind of work as you. I have a MB, bought new 12 months ago, the first Apple anything I've ever had. I would get the MBP if you have the money. If not the MB works just fine. My biggest whine is wanting a little more screen real estate when all those apps are open. You know how they all have a bunch of palettes and stuffs on the sides... I like the fact that my MB is smaller. B/c it's plenty heavy! I carry it everywhere and I'm not looking for more weight. Especially since I usually have a diaper bag and two toddlers in tow as well, lol.

My MB has 80g HD and I just up graded to 2g of RAM from 1g. It worked ok with the 1g but was a bit laggy.

There are lots of threads on this, so do a search and see what other people have already posted.

HTH,

OP
J

Jez

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

As i said i am basically using it for web stuff.

For example i might be coding a website in DW then, switch to Illustrator to change colours on a banner or onto photoshop to add some effects to that banner etc etc.

I'm not really upto speed on the whole ram things apart from it makes it quicker having more programs open is that right? What does the processor do then, just keep it all running?

Anyone know of any reliable online suppliers in the UK that do decent ram already in a mac notebook, i wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself?

Thanks again :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2.93Ghz i7 iMac 16GB, 15" 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP 8GB, 2.13Ghz MBA 4GB, iPhone4 32GB, iPad3G 32GB
The base MBP (the 2.2 C2D) runs amazingly well. I was dreading the fact that I didn't get a more sup'd up version (saved money to build a gaming pc). I couldn't be worried at all, no hang ups, no downtime, I am completely satisfied.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
Thanks for that.

Is this the same as Apples 4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB?

Surely not? One is £80 and apple charge £450. There must be a difference, i know they fit it for you and i wouldnt have a clue how to do it but thats a stupid jump.

Or have i read it wrong?

I believe Apple use Samsung ram, but that's no justification for the price difference.

The prices have come down quite a bit, my 2Gb dual channel ram for my Macbook was around £74 with postage.

I've come to the conclusion that you should never get upgrades from Apple, the ram and hdd are easily upgradable for much less elsewhere.

OP
J

Jez

Reaction score
I dont know what to do now.

Some say a Macbook high end with 4gig Ram would be ok.

Others say only a Macbook Pro low end would do..

Can anyone install ram, i wouldnt know where to start? :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ram on the pro is very easy i recommend play.com as i just got 2x2gb sicks from there for £55 very cheap and it was kingston as well so good ram.

Ram from play

How to install

apple over charge a lot for there ram never getting from them also i did a hard drive upgrade on my pro to a 250gb this was a drive i got from ebay and saved a lot by not getting it from apple. also have the older parts to sell on as well.

OP
J

Jez

Reaction score
So for example i order 2 lots of ram from Play follow them instructions slot the 2 new ram slots into it and the pro automatically pics up that it has extra ram and runs quicker?

This might seem daft but i really dont have a clue, you dont need to run an installation with the computer actually on or anything like that.

Thats 60quid for 4gig or ram from Play, Apple charge 450quid! Surely thats wrong, they are adding 390quid onto it!!!!???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.16ghz Core2Duo, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb WD Scorpio HDD, Westinghouse 22" external display
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yup buy it from play stick it in your pro like the guide says and boot the mac and it will work fine.

thats kind of the point of macs they, well they just work.

OP
J

Jez

Reaction score
Baring in mind the new speeds.

Would a Macbook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with lots of Ram be sufficient to do all my work with no slow down?

Or would a Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo be still the best bet?

I just want the best computer to do my needs with no slow down really, oh and some Football Manager ;)

Has the new update actually brought the Macbook and Macbook Pro closer to each other, or have i read that wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
All things considered, its wise to invest in a system that will last you longer in terms of usability. Also keep in mind that the MBP's 1440x900 screen resolution will come in handy with photoshop (bigger canvas) and will allow you to display more on screen then the Macbook's 13" 1280x900 screen.

The dedicated graphics card is also a big plus since it'll take some of the workload off the CPU when rendering graphics (Photoshop filters, effects, etc).

I would strongly recommend the new 2.4ghz macbook pro to you. If its out of your price range then consider a refurbished 2.4ghz model from the santa rosa generation ($1649 last time I looked) or a 2.2ghz ($1499). Anyway you look at it it'll be a huge step up from your G4, trust me on that one I know!

Good luck

OP
J

Jez

Reaction score
Hmm dont know, price is not too much of an issue just have to save up longer.

My Mini now is fine just alittle slow (obviously) i just want something that wont slow down really and is quick. My graphics card in my Mini now seems ok, is it the same as the Pro?

If its not then would a Macbook still be ok as i could connect it to my display i use with my Mini now.

Thanks for your advice Avenger :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.