Pesky Trashing problem

Reaction score
I have computer problem that has been bugging me for over a year. I have several empty older file folders in my trash that I cannot get ride of. I have checked these folders to make sure they are not locked and are read and write. The message I get is that Operation cannot be completed because the item “MEMSTICK.IND” is locked. I was given some information some time ago to go into the Utility folder than using the Terminal file type in a “cd ~/.Trash <hit return> sudo rm –rf, put a space after the f and drag the item you want deleted to the terminal so that its path is automatically entered, then press return than give it your admin password and hit return to remove the files”. I must have been doing something wrong because I could not get ride of these empty folder. It’s not effecting the computer operation, but it bugs me that I can’t get rid of these pesky files. Any experienced Mac persons out there that can help with this minor but aggravating problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Is the locked file invisible. If so you'll have to turn it visible. Then unlock it, then trash it. Xray (an app) is a good way of finding files and turning them visible.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Have you tried I believe holding the option key and then empty the trash?

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks, rman. What a simple solution to this pesky problem. I only hope that the rest of my worldly problems are this easy to solve in the year :)>).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.