Is a Time Machine backup sufficient?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, M1 MacBooks
I've done a bit of searching and reading regarding Time Machine. I believe I have a basic understanding of how it functions and I also think I know the answers to my own questions, but I'd like confirmation from you folks who know a lot more than I. My questions:

- As long as Time Machine is operating correctly, do I need to preform any other supplemental backups whatsoever in order to be protected in the event of a major HD failure?

- Is it possible and/or necessary to make an additional backup of the Time Machine backup?

- In a worst case scenario where the main HD fails, is the procedure to restore as follows:

1) Reinstall the OS via the system DVD's.
2) Restore the last current Time Machine backup?

- If so, would the machine then be essentially the same as it was (in terms of files/apps/settings) before the HD crash?

Sorry if these questions are basic, I just want to be sure I understand the capabilities of Time Machine correctly.

nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I think a time machine backup is sufficient but some people say it is best to back up on to two separate drives in case one of them fails or gets stolen, so two time machines, one by your computer constantly and one that you put away and connect once a week or so would be the most secure. I had to restore my system once and when you put in the leopard disc you have an option to restore from time machine and it installs leopard with everything you had in your time machine backup at a selected date, it was very helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
No amount of backing up is going to ensure that your data is safe. You could even do online backing up, but that company's server might go kaput. But for an average person, Time Machine is good enough.

As for the procedure, while installing Leopard, in the Boot menu, you get an option "Restore with Time Machine". The process is automatic and the system resumes to the state that it was before going crashy.

However, I suggest you do take weekly or monthly backups depending on the nature of your data on a CD/DVD or maybe another external hard drive. At least for the most important data.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro, M1 MacBooks
Okay, thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Because I'm paranoid ( ;) ) I currently use a combination of Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner images on two separate external drives. This way, I know I'm covered with the Time Machine backup, as well as a full bootable copy of my system (I update this CCC copy once per week).

As others have said, Time Machine is probably enough, but I guess my old "pre-Time Machine" habits are hard to break.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^^ You can never backup enough. It's okay to be paranoid about data loss especially if you have worked hard for it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.