iMac G3 won't turn on

OP
lithium641
Reaction score
Ok. Well I got it working and it's great and all, but... I don't know the user name or password so I can't really change anything. Is there any way that I can change the password without the install disk?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What was the fix that got it to work so others can benefit down the line?

Do you know if it's OSX or OS9?

OP
lithium641
Reaction score
I don't know... I just took it apart and put it back together and it booted up. It was kinda weird.I had done that so much but for some reason it worked this time.

OP
lithium641
Reaction score
But my next question is if you can change the administrator password without the original password

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What OS is on the machine? Do you have the Install CD for it?

OP
lithium641
Reaction score
I figured that. Only problem is that the CD drive is broken so I'm going to have to get a new one of those. Any ideas on where I can get a new one for cheap?

OP
lithium641
Reaction score
Is there any way that I may be able to fix the CD drive. It seems to want to spin up when I put a CD in but then it just stops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The trouble you have had comes in serials. Think it is over the hill. What next I wonder?

OP
lithium641
Reaction score
I think once I get the CD drive fixed it should be pretty good I'll just need to get the whole administrator thing off of it or I might just sell it for like $100 or something and let someone deal with it because Mac Super store gave me the newer one of it when I took it in to see about getting the administrator thing off. They were just like "Here, just take this one. Oh, and uh take the one you brought too. I think I might be able to make some decent money off of this little $20 investment!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3
iMac G3 Will not turn on!!

Hiya...

I just bought an iMac G3 from a carboot sale and seem to have a similar problem.... when i first got home I turned it on and it booted up ok... it only stayed on for about 5 mins tho, and then the screen went scrambled and it turned itself off... I thought it may be because the vents neeeded dusting out, so I took off the back cover and cleaned it all out and put it back on...now it wont turn on at all...

when i press the power on button it lights up green and makes a little noise but then does nothing else!...

please let me know if you have any ideas as to how i can fix this??....

Thank you

teza

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3
iMac G3 Will not turn on!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hiya...

I just bought an iMac G3 from a carboot sale and seem to have a similar problem.... when i first got home I turned it on and it booted up ok... it only stayed on for about 5 mins tho, and then the screen went scrambled and it turned itself off... I thought it may be because the vents neeeded dusting out, so I took off the back cover and cleaned it all out and put it back on...now it wont turn on at all...

when i press the power on button it lights up green and makes a little noise but then does nothing else!...

please let me know if you have any ideas as to how i can fix this??....

Thank you

teza

Reaction score
It could be as simple as needing a new pram battery or as bad as the power supply is shot,its a back loop transformer that goes bad. Theres pages of post on that subject. Or a crashed hard drive, or the system firmware is messed up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.