Gmail and MacMail

Reaction score
OK, I switched almost a year ago (to mac). However, I have been using gmail. I was curious if anyone knows of any way to download all my mail (or sync it) into macmail (along with my contacts).

I love gmail and haven't had any issues with it. However, I do fear losing all my email/contacts should anything every happen with google's servers... plus I like having a hard copy. Just curious...

I DID do a search on here but couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

OP
mac880104
Reaction score
Importing contacts...

OK, I figured it out. Simply go to contacts, show all, and at the bottom there is a "import, export" option. Export it in .vcf format... open address book and import... wa laa. No biggie. Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 15' T7200 1GRAM 80G White
I think the Mailplane in using gmail is much better than Mail

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
BTW, wa laa = voila
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
OK, I switched almost a year ago (to mac). However, I have been using gmail. I was curious if anyone knows of any way to download all my mail (or sync it) into macmail (along with my contacts).

I love gmail and haven't had any issues with it. However, I do fear losing all my email/contacts should anything every happen with google's servers... plus I like having a hard copy. Just curious...

I DID do a search on here but couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

I personally think that your mail is safer with Google than Macmail. If you use your own email program such as OS X's own Mail, Eudora Mail, Entourage or whatever, you will have your "hard copy" stored locally on your machine. Plus with Gmail you have the added benefit of a backup copy stored on their servers.

If you want added protection you can archive your mail from Entourage (other programs may or may not do this) and save it to CD, DVD or even a USB memory stick.

Gmail gives you the choice of using POP or IMAP mail retrieval and best of all the service is FREE. Using IMAP allows you to send/receive mail from a mobile device, web or another computer and it will sync with the rest of your mail clients. I think if you make the right choices regarding your email software you will be fine with Gmail, its not going anywhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.