File browsing / moving question...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ok here's the deal:

I would like to move file a) in folder x to folder y.

I select the file in the finder window and drag it to one of my sidebar folders, which promptly opens. When I then try to drop it in the new folder, it won't let me. Instead it remains in the previous folder.

On my windows machine I would just cut & paste, but the cut command is always greyed out.

If I try to drag & drop without the sidebar, it works...

Any suggestions / workarounds?

It's not a bug issue as I can always copy and then delete the original, but that is not a very elegant solution IMO.

E

.emo.

Aptmunich said:
Ok here's the deal:

I would like to move file a) in folder x to folder y.

I select the file in the finder window and drag it to one of my sidebar folders, which promptly opens. When I then try to drop it in the new folder, it won't let me. Instead it remains in the previous folder.

On my windows machine I would just cut & paste, but the cut command is always greyed out.

If I try to drag & drop without the sidebar, it works...

Any suggestions / workarounds?

It's not a bug issue as I can always copy and then delete the original, but that is not a very elegant solution IMO.

hmm im not really getting this ////so you have a file in folder A and you want it to be moved or copied? into folder B.... your saying something about a side bar. i have a feeling you are reffering to the finder window sidebars and in that case try to find the folder on your harddrive and drage the file into the folder that way.....not through the side bar

OP
Aptmunich
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
.emo. said:
hmm im not really getting this ////so you have a file in folder A and you want it to be moved or copied? into folder B.... your saying something about a side bar. i have a feeling you are reffering to the finder window sidebars and in that case try to find the folder on your harddrive and drage the file into the folder that way.....not through the side bar

Sorry if I'm not being clear, let me try to explain...

If I have some files in a folder (where they shouldn't be) and I want to MOVE them to their proper folder, the most logical way of doing it (to me at least) would be to drag them over to their proper sidebar icon, wait for the folder to open in the same finder window, and just drop them there...

WAIT!! Now it's working? what's up with that??

Sorry, maybe I was just being a bit dumb earlier....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.