Time Machine help

Reaction score
Is it possible to set up time machine to my mac HD, because it doesnt seem to want to allow it right now. It wants to back up on my external hard drive and I am worried that it will have to erase everything on there to back everything up. Is that something I should be worried about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can only setup Time Machine on secondary hard drives, not on the primary drive that Leopard is installed on. Having it backup on the same drive would be counter-intuitive for it to be able to serve as a backup solution.

OP
J
Reaction score
ok, thank you. does Time Machine really need my entire 250gb external to function though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
Nope. You can decide how much you want to allocate. You can partition the disk and use as much space as you want for this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I assume you'd partition it with disk utility and then select the partition you just made with time machine and back up to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yep, you partition using Disk Utility. Be sure to choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for the Time Machine partition. If you want to use the drive on Windows computers, then be sure to choose MS-DOS (FAT) for the other partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.