Is it possible to increase the power of GMA X3100?

Reaction score
Just recently I bought updated Macbook with Santa Rosa processor and new Intel video chip. I have 2 sticks of memory with 512 mb on each and using Leopard I feel it is not enough. As I like playing computer games I would like to find any ways to do it. I know it is not possible to replace graphics card with newer one, so, how can I increase the power of GMA X3100? It has 144 of virtual shared memory, is it somehow connected with virtual memory? For instance, I upgrade my memory and get more productivity of graphics card, do I?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
no and no...
There is no way you can upgrade your graphics processor...
And as far as I know, upgrading you ram will not help either. (I am not positive though)

If you wanted to play games, why did you not go for the pro?

OP
T
Reaction score
Oh, I am sorry for being not specific. I am a student and I can't afford this luxury as it costs twice as much as macbook does. Moreover, it is heavier and MBP's design doesn't satisfy me as well as its usage orientation. I would like to carry it with me going somewhere.
I was waiting for new Intel processor and graphics card as it costs the same as previous one. I expected to play Warcraft III or other 3-D actions and racing simulators with moderate video configurations. For example, NFS Carbon, Doom III e.t.c.
OK, if I use Vista boot-camp, how efficient it will be towards Mac OSX?
One more irrelevant to this topic question: I bought 120 GB HD, but when get info about HD it shows the capacity - 99.86 GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
Oh, I am sorry for being not specific. I am a student and I can't afford this luxury as it costs twice as much as macbook does. Moreover, it is heavier and MBP's design doesn't satisfy me as well as its usage orientation. I would like to carry it with me going somewhere.
I was waiting for new Intel processor and graphics card as it costs the same as previous one. I expected to play Warcraft III or other 3-D actions and racing simulators with moderate video configurations. For example, NFS Carbon, Doom III e.t.c.
OK, if I use Vista boot-camp, how efficient it will be towards Mac OSX?
One more irrelevant to this topic question: I bought 120 GB HD, but when get info about HD it shows the capacity - 99.86 GB?

You have to accept the reality that the macbook or any other laptop with integrated video is not for gaming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
*(While this is (true) )\n;*

the x3100 is not really that bad. you can play halo 1, most of the star wars games, and an assortment of other games on lower settings. In theory, adding an extra gig of ram could add to the performance in case SOME HOW you are running out of ram and limiting sharing during the game. but then again, you should look into the limitations that the card has in XP, it could be different...

but im not 100% sure, i do not have the card... let us know whats up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Well I agree about that about the ram.
What I was saying was, I don't think increasing the ram would add more shared memory to the graphics processor...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
Well I agree about that about the ram.
What I was saying was, I don't think increasing the ram would add more shared memory to the graphics processor...

You're right. I have 4Gb's in mine and shared memory towards graphics card is still 144Mb -- although I wouldn't mind the option to bump up my GPU memory seeing as how my MB would only be able to address 3 of my 4Gbs of memory anyway...

Having more memory will allow you to run games smoother just because you won't have to use your swap space much (or at all). As for running the games on boot-camp Vista, your GMAX3100 is still a GMAX3100 no matter which OS you use so it wouldn't make any difference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.