Time Machine won't finish

Reaction score
I have been trying to run Time Machine to an external Maxtor HD.

I have a MacBook Pro with 10.5.1.

After repeated efforts, I finally found a note that said the drive must be partitioned properly in addition to being formated. So I did that and thought I had solved my problem. The next attempt to run Time Machine proved to hang at about 90% completion.

Disk Utility says it can still see the partition, but Time Machine can't find a storage location. It wants to setup over again, but when I try that it doesn't see the drive.

This is becoming more hassle than its worth. I might have to think about finding a different backup software. Any suggestions.

OP
W
Reaction score
update

I downloaded ibackup and ran it to the external drive. No problem.

After I convinced time machine that the drive existed, it came around for the next hourly backup and started preparing and then began the backup. In short order, it put up a screen that said the computer must be rebooted. I had to erase the drive in order to get finder to see it again.

When the drive was online again, I ran ibackup again and it worked fine.

It appears to me that Time Machine is corrupting the drive while running. If anyone has any ideas about this, I'd be interested. But as is, I am going to abandon Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i had a similiar situation with time machine not finishing a 120GB initial backup, i did the following:

open disk util, and erase the partition on the drive, overwriting it with several new partitions. Repartitioned it with 1 GUID partition. works fine now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro--15in Glossy LED--2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo--2GB RAM--120GB HD
Anyone have any updates on this issue? Because I'm having this same problem now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro--15in Glossy LED--2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo--2GB RAM--120GB HD
UPDATE: I'm running TM on a MBP. I realized (and maybe I'm just ignorant) that TM will not run any scheduled backups if you are running on just battery power. You have to be plugged in for TM to run scheduled or manual backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.