I want to use an external as my main harddrive

Reaction score
I have a 1tb external HDD that i keep all my music and films on as they wont fit on my macbook HDD and i want my macbook to know that this is where i keep them so say i went onto front row i could have my films appear in there. And when i went into itunes i could see all my music. Could i do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You could, but it would essential turn your macbook into a desktop. You wouldnt be able to take it anywhere and use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
No that's not true. You just wouldn't be able to watch movies or play music on it. But that's what iPods are for. I have 1tb external and many other externals. I have all my movies and iTunes library on them. True it is inconvenient at times but there is no way I would be able to fit it all on the MBP I have. I think only for iPhoto I had to download iPhoto Library Manager so I could have the iPhoto library on the external HD. All the other apps had no problems with this.

OP
L
Reaction score
Okay, maybe this will be easier than i expected. Just to clear up, i will use it basicly as a desktop with the HDD but also i will just use it without the HDD aswel when i dont want to watch a film or listen to music. I just want it to be all there when i put the HDD back in.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
under the preferences -> advance you should find where you can tell iTunes the location of your music.

kao

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, NVIDIA 8600M GT 128MB
You could also create an Alias in the 'Movies' folder to where you keep your films so you can go through Front Row to your folders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.