• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Looking for a good dual layer DVD burner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 128GB/4GB SDRAM & iMac 2.5GHz QuadCore 500GB HardDrive / 8GB SDRAM
Now that my business has expanded to videoing clinics, I need a DVD burner that will burn faster and burn more footage.

I did a clinic this past summer amounting to 14 hours of raw footage. Well, I could only get 2 hours of footage on each DVD and each DVD took around 7 hours to burn. What a pain!

What is out there that will give me what I am looking for? I would prefer firewire connection.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You will be able to cut down the burn time, but not the encoding time. Which more than likely was more than six hours per DVD.

OP
ImageExtensions
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 128GB/4GB SDRAM & iMac 2.5GHz QuadCore 500GB HardDrive / 8GB SDRAM
Yeah I know about the encoding time but my single layer DVD burner will only burn up to 2 hours of footage. The dual layer will give me more. This clinic ended up being a 7 disc set.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The dual layer will give more, but not all players will be able to play tem from what I have read. Also you will need to purchase dual layer media. Which is a little more expensive than the single layer.

As for burners, I like the LaCie brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I have always experienced burning DVDs or CDs that don't play on every player. I have a Lacie dual layer burner with Light Scribe. LOVE it. It burns so much faster. You don't have to use dual layer disc for everything. Some times I use the cheapies. If it is some important I use the dual layer lightscribe discs then flip the disc over and burn a label on to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.