Desktop Background

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I'd like to download a desktop background from one of the desktop wallpaper sites. Once it's downloaded, do I need to copy it to a specific folder in order to select it as background? I'm running a new 20" iMac so is there a specific image size that will work best?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
you can drag it to your pictures folder and then that will show up in your preferences pane or you can open up desktop under system preferences and drag if from where ever you want it saved onto the little window that shows your current background.

OP
Doug in Alaska
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Would this be the Pictures folder I view in Finder when viewing my profile?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, core 2 duo 2.0 GHZ,1GB RAM,80 GB HDD
yes or you could put it in any folder and when you go to system prefrences/desktop and wallpaper just click the + to add the folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
you can also drop it into iphoto and make a keyword called "wallpaper". Then make a smart album for all pictures you keyword "wallpaper". You would then be able to find them in system prefs when you wanted to change a wallpaper and they'd be nice and neat within iphoto. That's what I do and it's worked great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I'd like to download a desktop background from one of the desktop wallpaper sites. Once it's downloaded, do I need to copy it to a specific folder in order to select it as background? I'm running a new 20" iMac so is there a specific image size that will work best?
Thanks

No, you don't you just need to know where it is located so you when you change your wallpaper, you know where to pick it from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
You could also instead of downloading the picture right click it in your web browser and then select use as desktop background.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
You could also instead of downloading the picture right click it in your web browser and then select use as desktop background.

I try not to use that method.
What if you changed your background after you did that and wanted to go back to the original image but you did not remember where you got it from?

I have a folder in my Pictures folder called wallpapers and just added that folder in the wallpaper preferences. Now when I click on that folder, all my wallpapers are avalable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Leopard saves them in a folder when you do the set as desktop background option in Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, core 2 duo 2.0 GHZ,1GB RAM,80 GB HDD
I have a folder in my Pictures folder called wallpapers and just added that folder in the wallpaper preferences. Now when I click on that folder, all my wallpapers are avalable.

lol thats exactly what I've done and I'mhappy with it so I recommend doing that

Reaction score
Leopard keeps track of wallpapers picked up from browsers, so you can just right-click and say "use as desktop background" (or similar) in your browser. In system preferences, all your browser desktops should show up seperately.

Reaction score
...I'm running a new 20" iMac so is there a specific image size that will work best?
Thanks

I have a 20" iMac. 1680 x 1050 is the highest and default resolution. Switching resolutions causes the image to shrink to fit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.