install PowerBook G4 superdrive in a Power Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 450 MHZ 80GB HD 896 MB RAM; PowerBook G4 17" 1.5 GHz 512MB RAM
hey yall its me again. i just want to start out by thatnking all of you that gave me advice on my cpu question (im still searching for the best buy) but now i have another question.... Can i take the 8x superdrive out of my powerbook and some way install it in my powermac?:eek:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hey yall its me again. i just want to start out by thatnking all of you that gave me advice on my cpu question (im still searching for the best buy) but now i have another question.... Can i take the 8x superdrive out of my powerbook and some way install it in my powermac?:eek:

Where there's a will, there's a way - but I think you're looking at a pretty serious hack. The Superdrive in the Powerbook uses an ultra-slim, semi-proprietary form factor. You would need to fabricate some sort of bracket, a faceplate and source an adapter for the connector.

It would probably be easier to just buy a standard 5 1/4" bay CD/DVD burner and modify the faceplate to fit in a PowerMac.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
As cwa107 suggested it may be cheaper to buy a new drive than install the old one in your PowerMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pioneer 20X DL DVD Superdrives are dirt cheap - $29.95 in Oz. Install one of these or similar/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.