Using my imac to link my 360 to xbox live

Reaction score
OK, heres my setup: I have an Imac, next to it i have my xbox 360 and my TV. Currently I link them both to the internet by plugging them into my router which is plugged into my modem. My internet connection is right next to all this in the same room so its all wired.

But in a couple of days will will be getting a new, faster connection which will have to utilize the phone line downstairs, so I will have my new wireless router/modem plugged in downstairs and my imac will connect wirelessly using airport. However I won't be able to plug my 360 into my router anymore (I am not running an ugly wire all downstairs), I don't have a wireless adapter for it and don't really want to buy one.

So, my question is this: can I link my imac to my 360 to share its connection and give me access to xbox live? I'm sure I can, just not 100% sure how...

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
im not sure how to do that, but you could just buy a wireless receiver for your 360...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Connect your 360 and iMac using an ethernet cable, than go into System Preferences-->Sharing than select the internet sharing tab and check off the box next to ethernet, and than check off the box next to internet sharing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Download and BUY this program called Connect360

You can stream movies, music, and pics to your Xbox 360. I use it to stream from my iBook over my wireless network. Works amazing and worth paying for it.

The trial version gives you 100 items each for pics/movies/music to stream. Registering it unlocks that to unlimited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Download and BUY this program called Connect360

You can stream movies, music, and pics to your Xbox 360. I use it to stream from my iBook over my wireless network. Works amazing and worth paying for it.

The trial version gives you 100 items each for pics/movies/music to stream. Registering it unlocks that to unlimited.

In order to use this program, your XBox 360 has to be connected to your home network first...that is the problem the OP is trying to solve.

Use the ethernet port on the back of the 360 plugged into the ethernet port on the Mac. Turn on network sharing for the ethernet port in network preferences on the Mac, and your 360 should connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Yeah, what they said. :)

That's how I used to connect my X-Box to the internet when I first moved into my old apartment... I accidentally found a neighbors internet, so I had it connected that way. I mean, I didn't... but I could have... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
If you have bootcamp installed you can bridge the connecition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
In order to use this program, your XBox 360 has to be connected to your home network first...that is the problem the OP is trying to solve.

Use the ethernet port on the back of the 360 plugged into the ethernet port on the Mac. Turn on network sharing for the ethernet port in network preferences on the Mac, and your 360 should connect.

That's nothing a $15 router won't fix. Connect360 is the only way I'd stream media. The network sharing doesn't work that well compared to it, at least in my experiences.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.