MacBook beeps 3 short 3 long 3 short, repeats continuously

Reaction score
After applying last update with "Software update..." my one-month old MacBook 2.2GHz won't boot instead it sounds 3 short beeps, followed by 3 long beeps, followed by 3 short beeps (Morse code for SOS?).

It will not run Apple Hardware Test nor will it boot from Install Disk 1 --- it momentarily spins the media then ejects it.

Re-seating the memory modules did not fix it neither did replacing the two Crucial modules with the original Apple memory modules.

I've also tried resetting PRAM and SMC but had no luck.

Anyone have any ideas I can try while I wait for Apple telephone support to re-open tomorrow?

TIA,
Al

Reaction score
I was going to suggest bad ram, but you already tested that. It won't pass its POST test, so you are off to Apple... tough way to start the year.
:Grimmace:

OP
M
Reaction score
firmware restoration version???

I had already tried firmware restoration version 1.4. I assume I need version 1.4. I say assume because Apple menu About this Mac is not available and 1.4 was the latest version I could find.

Would someone confirm this?

Al

M

MacHeadCase

Apple Care or an Apple Store genius would certainly confirm this for you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had already tried firmware restoration version 1.4. I assume I need version 1.4. I say assume because Apple menu About this Mac is not available and 1.4 was the latest version I could find.

Would someone confirm this?

Al

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even bother with this - if you have a POST failure, that's usually indicative of a low-level hardware failure. Even if by some miracle you managed to get it to boot, I would have no confidence in that logic board. It's time for a visit to the Apple store, and seeing as how the machine is so new, I would hope that they'd just replace the entire unit.

M

MacHeadCase

Exactly, cwa.

Malinaa, you have done a lot of troubleshooting on your own, a lot that we could suggest anyhow: but you can only go so far with software troubleshooting if the problem is hardware. And to me this does sound like a hardware problem. Nothing you could do could ever fix this, IMO. I could be wrong but it does sound like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
some things cant be fixed with a cd/software. enjoy the new year in the apple store! :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Although this problem was fixed long ago, the remedy was: replace motherboard.

Al

After applying last update with "Software update..." my one-month old MacBook 2.2GHz won't boot instead it sounds 3 short beeps, followed by 3 long beeps, followed by 3 short beeps (Morse code for SOS?).

It will not run Apple Hardware Test nor will it boot from Install Disk 1 --- it momentarily spins the media then ejects it.

Re-seating the memory modules did not fix it neither did replacing the two Crucial modules with the original Apple memory modules.

I've also tried resetting PRAM and SMC but had no luck.

Anyone have any ideas I can try while I wait for Apple telephone support to re-open tomorrow?

TIA,
Al

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.