.Mac is it worth it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
I was not sure if this has already been posted or if its the right place but here goes. I just got my mac for christmas and i am very happy with it and i have been looking around at all the software and i was wondering if .Mac was worth buying and is it any good or is it just a pointless app?
So it would be much appreciated if you shared your views on it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
I don't have it and have never had it, and am in perfect shape. I believe you can try it free for 60 days, so if you are seriously considering it, try it out, and if you feel you like it and need it, go for it.

I just feel there are plenty of free alternatives for what it offers.

OP
James-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks al try it out and see what its like. do you have to have .mac for Ichat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
No, you can use AOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
I would also suggest using Adium, not iChat, for IM clients. Video chat and other things iChat does are useful but unless you need them I prefer Adium (the duck icon app).

A .mac account isn't required for anything with your apple computer, it just allows you to have an email address with that extension and offers some different ways to showcase your creations to other apple enthusiasts. Any of the programs can operate standalone without it, however.

OP
James-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help here i don't think I am going to buy .mac yet. I think i am going to buy a new printer and then move on to making mac heaven...:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 MBP, 3gb ram, not enough disk space, iPod Classic, iPhone, techno-addiction
I use it all the time, but maybe I'm not the norm. I enjoy syncing my multiple macs, I back up essential files (this helped me ENORMOUSLY when my previous laptop was stolen!), I maintain an easy but useful website for my extended family, etc. While I could do the same thing with a myriad of other software options, the fact that all my iLife and iWork applications work seamlessly with .mac makes it worth the price tag for me. Give the trial a shot and see if it's right for you. Just make sure you read up on .mac to ensure you're really taking advantage of the variety of options it provides.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 PPC 1 GHZ 1.25 GB RAM
If you buy, search Amazon.com for .Mac or go to:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BX7GAI/?tag=macforums0e4-20
Because,
List Price: $99.95 plus applicable state/city tax if bought from Apple
Price: $69.99 no tax & this item ships FREE with Super Saver Shipping
You Save: $29.96 (30%).

In my case, because of state/city tax, this would save $36.48 (36%). Buy a color printer for that online for or consider it a discount on a better one.

OP
James-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use it all the time, but maybe I'm not the norm. I enjoy syncing my multiple macs, I back up essential files (this helped me ENORMOUSLY when my previous laptop was stolen!), I maintain an easy but useful website for my extended family, etc. While I could do the same thing with a myriad of other software options, the fact that all my iLife and iWork applications work seamlessly with .mac makes it worth the price tag for me. Give the trial a shot and see if it's right for you. Just make sure you read up on .mac to ensure you're really taking advantage of the variety of options it provides.

+1 That is a great point :D only thing with websites i never have a clue what to base them on i go threw fad's very quickly :Smirk: but ime sure al find something ;D

Sorry to hear about your laptop being stolen i couldn't bare the thought :'(

EDIT: msackett will that work if i live in England?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 PPC 1 GHZ 1.25 GB RAM
Oops!
I haven't a clue about Amazon.com and the UK.
I suppose a trip to the Nebraska Furniture Mart is out of the question!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.