what's this noise?

Reaction score
Ok here it goes. This is going to be hard to explain but I'll give it a shot. You know the noise your Macbook makes when you start it up or wake it from a sleep. Kind like when you insert a disc but a little different? Anywho's my "noise" seems to be getting weaker and/or slower. I swear it just doesn't have the same verve or vigor that it once did. I just noticed it about a week ago.

My Macbook is just over a year old and it does it no matter what the charge on the battery is.

Could this be a sign of impending doom? Hopefully this makes sense. BTW what the heck is that noise? Thanks.

Lee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
Ok here it goes. This is going to be hard to explain but I'll give it a shot. You know the noise your Macbook makes when you start it up or wake it from a sleep. Kind like when you insert a disc but a little different? Anywho's my "noise" seems to be getting weaker and/or slower. I swear it just doesn't have the same verve or vigor that it once did. I just noticed it about a week ago.

My Macbook is just over a year old and it does it no matter what the charge on the battery is.

Could this be a sign of impending doom? Hopefully this makes sense. BTW what the heck is that noise? Thanks.

Lee

if it stops all together, worry. All else, just go with it. are you talking about the chime, or the superdrive "ehhhhhh errrrrrrr" ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
the noise it first makes when it works up from sleep, is just the CD drive checking for a CD in the slot, if it's getting weaker or slower that probably means you need to get the drive looked at, How does the drive handle loading CDs and so forth?

OP
H
Reaction score
It's definitely the ehhh errrr noise described by kgeier. Just sounds like it's slowing down/getting weaker. CD's still go in and the sound is stronger and faster. I guess I'll just go with it, just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this. Thanks guys.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.