Firefox questions

Reaction score
Hi. I am quite a wizz with windows and i just bought my first macbook. Very beautiful.

However the first problem was safari. Some sites didnt look as they normal do (in IE or FF) so i decided to install firefox.

However when I click tool at the top while in firefox, I see all the options (Web search, downloads, add-ons, but no Settings or Options button like in windows)

Also the tab button seems erratic - it doesnt just go to the next link or field like in windows.

Finally, i have all these drives on the desktop which i can't eject like firefox and now BitRockt. What are they?

One last question which isnt really a question. I love the fact that the mail tells me how much email i have, but is there a way to let the program start on its own in the background and sync in the background so i only need to open the program when i see there is a new email

Appreciate any help I can get with this new fantastic piece of kit

BTW, how can i be sure i am running leopard. I cannot see no mention of it. (in About This Mac, the version is 10.5.1)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I'll try to do this in order:
The options menu in firefox is usually in Edit>Preferences.

Not sure what to tell you about the tabs. It's weird thats for sure

The "drives" on your desktop are temporary (except for your hard drive) and should look totally different than your hard drive. To remove them simply drag it to your trash. When you do this an eject icon will appear. It's completely normal.

For the mail, assuming it's in your dock you can right click it (or hold command and click) and select open at login. It will start every time your turn on your computer.To disable it just command click again and disable it. It should check the mail periodically anyway once running. Just so you know the command button is the one with the cloverleaf and the  logo.

Lastly, 10.5.x is Leopard where as 10.4.x is Tiger. So you indeed are running Leopard.

Welcome to the forums!

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the useful post and the warm welcome - and happy new year.

In terms of the issues, oddly, the preferences/settings/options button is not in edit either, nor any of the top buttons - maybe someone else would know about this.

As for the tabs, for example while i am here writing in quick reply, if i click tab once, it goes on to "Post quick reply", the next one would go to the address bar and the their will bring me right back to this text box skipping everything else on the page. is that normal?

As for the mail solution, it is good however is there a way to start Mail hidden. Also, is there a task manager here?

Thanks again
Ali

EDIT: Also, about the firefox drive, it seems when i click Firefox from the bottom bit for the first time, i have to mount the firefox temporary drive and then it comes up. This is very strange to me. Is this supposed to happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Ok, my mistake. The preferences tab is located under "firefox" in the finder bar( menu bar). If you have installed firefox. If not then do so by opening the temporary drive and by dragging it to the applications folder.Thats the install process.
Than you should be able to drag the temporary drive as well as the downloaded file to the trash (something like Firefox 2.0.0.11.dmg) to the trash as well.

Not sure you can do that with the mail but I understand what you mean. Maybe someone else will know.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok, my mistake. The preferences tab is located under "firefox" in the finder bar( menu bar). If you have installed firefox. If not then do so by opening the temporary drive and by dragging it to the applications folder.Thats the install process.
Than you should be able to drag the temporary drive as well as the downloaded file to the trash (something like Firefox 2.0.0.11.dmg) to the trash as well.

Not sure you can do that with the mail but I understand what you mean. Maybe someone else will know.

Thank you so much. And i installed a program called HiddenMail which does the job for the mail. So it looks like everything is resolved
:) Have a nice day

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.