Safari

Reaction score
Why does Safari have problems opening certain sites that Firefox can open?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Why does Safari will problems opening certain sites that Firefox can open?

Hard to say for sure without some examples, but it could just be that some sites are designed poorly and/or not standards compliant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G4 PPC 1 GHZ 1.25 GB RAM
Firefox 3 and Minefield Fail Too

Why does Safari will problems opening certain sites that Firefox can open?

My financial site and Cox TV listings do not work with Safari. They do not work with Firefox 3 or Minefield either.

In Safari's case, neither 2 nor 3 worked.

In Firefox's case, 2 worked perfectly.

I don't know who is non-compliant, but I send a bug report to browser and site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
It's most likely in the way the site is coded. I know for a fact certain sites cannot be viewed by safari but can be in firefox and vice versa... just about all are viewable though.

I don't know the specifics but I would just run firefox when you know you will be going to that site and other times run safari. I did that for a while when safari wouldn't let me upload files. Now it does, so no need for firefox anymore!

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
It seems, while I was using my PC, that Firefox, not being a microsoft product didn't open all sites like IE did. I hated that! Now, it appears that Safari is about in the same boat that Firefox was with Internet Explorer. Aside from the nice icon look of the tabs in Firefox and a couple neat extensions, I like the speed of Safari and the continuity with Mac.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I went to a Ticketmaster site and had the same problem. But, Firefox, again, opened the site. It is interested how different the browsers do work. I'm just curious as to what the preference for most Mac people is on browsers. I suspect the Apple thing with Safari would have a natural bias.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I can open and use 99.9% of sites with Safari. For the rest I use Firefox or Camino.

But to answer the basic question, Safari, Firefox/Camino, and IE all use different rendering engines. Almost 100% certainty is that when a site won't open in Safari, it's because the site is not standards compliant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
You can try this :
Download Tinkertool (Free) http://www.bresink.com/osx/0TinkerTool/download.html
Go to the safari pane and check the enable debug Menu
When you relaunch Safari go to the debug menu and look under User agent

20080101-hre2dw1h2eaw7c74xe45gf77.jpg

It may help you. I hope it does

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. I have downloaded Camino. I like it. It seems to have the best of both Firefox and Safari.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.