Powermac G4 Boot Problems

Reaction score
I am running a Powermac G4, 466mhz, using 10.4.4 OS X. The primary problem is that I can only boot the system up in Safe Mode by holding the shift key down while pressing the power button. :Grimmace:

What could be some reasons as to why the system will not boot up normally when pressing the power button?

frustrated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would try repairing permissions etc.

If all else fails download an update for the system from the apple site

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If it will only start up in Safe Mode, then quite likely something is rotten either in your user's Library or in /Library. Using Safe Mode bypasses many things that are loaded from those locations. It also could have something to do with an attached peripheral, so disconnect everything except your keyboard and mouse, then try booting. If it works, then there ya go. If not, read on...

First thing I would try is, while in Safe Mode, use Onyx or MainMenu to run through a full series of repair and cache-cleaning utilities. Do all of them, rebooting when told to. If this fixes the problem, then yer done.

If that doesn't do it, then I would try creating a new user and making that the default user. If your new user can log in fine without requiring Safe Mode, then you have some problems with your user's Library, or perhaps Log-in Items. Follow the troubleshooting steps below. If your new user can't log in except in Safe Mode also, then you likely have some probs in /Library. That will be trickier to figure out, so let's leave that for now.

If the issue was narrowed down to the User account, try removing all the log-in items listed in the Accounts preference panel, then try rebooting. If you still can't start up without Safe Mode, then log in to a different user with Admin privileges. Rename your primary user's Library to LibraryOld. When you log back into that user, the Library will get rebuilt, but hopefully this will solve the problem once and for all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also might try booting from the install DVD, go to Utilities, and run Verify Disk and Repair Permissions.

As lifeisabeach says, something sure is off and the safe mode boot is telling you HELP!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.