Should I wait or should I buy now?

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a new Mac Pro 3.0 8-core. A friend told me to wait because there's a new chip coming out that will blow the 8-core through the roof...is this true. And if so, when is it coming out? I work in music production, so I'm always pushing my Macs to the limit
-rednote

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm thinking about buying a new Mac Pro 3.0 8-core. A friend told me to wait because there's a new chip coming out that will blow the 8-core through the roof...is this true.

No one knows but Apple. If you need the machine now, buy it now.

And if so, when is it coming out?

Again, no one knows but Apple. They don't release that kind of information, and are notoriously tight-lipped about new products.

I work in music production, so I'm always pushing my Macs to the limit
-rednote

My guess is that 8 core Mac will serve you well. If you need it now, just buy it. In the technology world, if you're always waiting for the next big thing, you'll be waiting forever.

Reaction score
You can be guaranteed that what ever you buy will be obsolete 30 seconds after you have parted with your money.

Having said that, just what are you doing that makes an 8 core hellbeast suxors if something else comes out that is newer?

Mailman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yes, there might be a new processor upgrade in the coming months as all the rumors say. An upgrade to the Mac Pro is pretty much a given with the new processors seeing the last upgrade as a year and half ago.
That being said, how dramatic will the difference be? Who knows, the processors aren't out yet. Some people say there will be a 10% difference, some people say 30%. I would guess it's somewhere in the 10 to 15% range.
If you need a Mac Pro now, get the 8-core. It will serve you well for MANY years. If you can hold out a few months, you don't need a new computer now anyways.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
cwa107, how are you not a moderator? you have an absurd knowledge base and amount of posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
cwa107, how are you not a moderator? you have an absurd knowledge base and amount of posts.

It's now what you know but who you know that gets you places in the world. But I'll agree this person as does a lot of others here has a lot of apple knowledge.

And to reply to the original poster. I agree with all of the above. I'd just double check things to make sure you really need a mac pro. As really they are rather overkill for almost everything a user or pro user would ever do. But if you really want one, I'd wait till the upcoming macworld for an announcement. If nothing shows up there, I'd go and get one. Even if they are soon updated post that time, you'll still have one of the fastest and most productive retail computers on the planet. And it will still serve you well for years to come.

Reaction score
Why does it matter if you are using 8 CORES. That is a ton of power. That should do all of you processing needs for years to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
You can be guaranteed that what ever you buy will be obsolete 30 seconds after you have parted with your money.

Having said that, just what are you doing that makes an 8 core hellbeast suxors if something else comes out that is newer?

Mailman

exactly...no matter what you buy it will be obsolete quick. it sucks but thats the way its always been with computers. the good thing is that you'll still have a kick butt computer that will last a couple of years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.