Macbook or Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Coming soon
Hi
If you've seen my thread in the selling section you'll know that i recently got 20'' 2.0ghz imac but now wish i got a mb or mbp. the models are black macbook vs 15'' macbook pro 2.2ghz
So Macbook or Macbook pro?

Now i know the mbp has the nvidia graphics card but the only games i will be playing are sims 2,football manager 2008 and commander and generals can the black macbook handle them?

i also like the 15'' screen for watching some films and that you get the option for matte or glossy.

I will be doing so simple film editing but i wont be using fcp just imovie hd/08

Wont be editing photos

so all i want to know is from my imac money shall i buy the black macbook
and not use all my money or use it all on the macbook pro?
Thanks

Reaction score
I got my kids Macbooks (2ghz models) and my wife a Macbook Pro (17" 2.6ghz, 4GB RAM version) for christmas and to be honest, I much prefer the macbooks.

They are plenty fast enough for what the kids and wife want to do (homework, surfing the net, maybe play a bit of Sims2). The Macbook Pro is a real hellbeast of a laptop. It is lovely and sleek and shiney BUT its quite heavy for my wife and is MASSIVE!

If I was buying for myself I would probably go for a 15" Macbook.

Regards

Mailman

ps. Santa gave me a iMac 2.8GHZ, 4GB RAM computer for christmas. Ive always wanted an Apple...now I got so many they are coming out of my wazoo! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro. 16GB iPod Touch.
I highly prefer the MacBook Pro, A. It's a better machine, and B. I like the Aluminum Case better then the plastic of the MacBooks. Then again I use Final Cut Studio 2, so for your use the MacBook may be better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm
I would have to second the macbook pro. I don't have a Mac yet but desperate want one and could actually afford a macbook now but after checking them out at the Appel store the 13" screen is small so if you plan on watching anything or editing like you say then go with the 15". The price steps up I know but you're also getting more under the hood other than a bigger screen. Plus macbooks are so small anyway that transport shouldn't be a problem with the pro.

Reaction score
i just bought a macbook pro (17" hi-res/2.6/4GB) and i love it. compared to my Dell XPS m1710, this thing is feather-light. it's the lightest in it's class and the weight really doesn't bother me a bit. like i said, it feels light....

Reaction score
First, let me list my bona fides

I'm a fairly recent Mac convert. My wife has a Macbook (not the most recent batch, but the last version before it)

I'm saving up for a notebook myself (currently use a three year old eMac)

I have been using and maintaining computers for nearly 15 years, mostly PCs, but some Unix background as well.

I will be buying a Macbook. No Pro for me. The price differential is significant, and the only bonus I can see is the video card - that dedicated video RAM is definitely tempting - but the screens are too large for real portability, and the Macbook does everything I would want it to do.

As for the games you listed, I might be tempted to go with the Pro. Sims 2 is pretty intense, graphically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
If you are planning on doing any gaming I would spend the extra money on the Pro. It's better to have more power in that department so you don't make the wrong choice.

I picked up a ps3 and xbox 360 for all my future gaming needs so the macbook was perfect for me. And I love the 13.3" size for portability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac
I say MBP. I recently switched to Mac and got the MacBook... and just recently sold it and bought a MBP (24 days time).

The MacBook is 5 pounds, and the MBP 15" is about 4 ounces heavier, so weight is not an issue. The outside physical dimensions are not even close enough to make it harder to carry either. I think the only thing that turns me off the MBP is the higher amount of heat it produces compared to the MacBook.

If you are going to do any games get the MBP, granted the MacBook did play games I didn't think it had any business running. It still wasn't good enough for me (lets face it... playing a game and PLAYING a game are two different things... no one likes to play with mushy textures and no visual distances or effects), and I don't even really play games anymore... also... while most people say light video editing, I think they end up like me, and fall in love with it and wish they got some more horse power to do more video editing (not to mention the screen real estate). My MacBook just couldn't handle doing movies the way I wanted it to, but it fared far better than I thought it would.

I hope this helps. The money spent on the MBP is worth it in my opinion.

OP
GeorgeTink
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Coming soon
Nobody's checking out my other post relating to this please can you all take a look at my post in the buy sell trade area.
Thanks for all the comments im leaning towards the mbp but does anyone know if watching movies on the 13'' makes you squint?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
I've owned both a Macbook and MBP in the last 9 months. I loved both of them, and like the MBP better. That being said, the MBP has more application crashes than my Macbook (which I sold). I have no idea why, but my Macbook was definitely more stable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
I pray you guys are buying your ram 3rd party and saving $600+ in the process...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
and no, no squinting is required to watch movies. it looks quite nice. we are not talking about a psp here! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
I have a macbook and this thing is great !!! The MBP may be better performing, but I think the macbook is better for the price. It handles everything I throw at it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
i love my macbook...but it does stink not being able to play games on it. i wish apple could find a way to fit a better video card in them.however, i mainly use my laptop for school work--papers, web browsing, PDF stuff. with that said my next purchase sometime around 2 years from now will definitely be a macbook pro...right now i really dig the 2.4ghz 15" model, but i'm sure by the time i get around to buying one they will have something way better available.

OP
GeorgeTink
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Coming soon
Thanks for the replies but, the thing im stuck on is im only going to play games once in a while. Does anyone have any games on thier macbook if so how do they run (preffered games sims2,c&c)

Reaction score
No, the Macbook cannot handle Sims 2 with a decent framerate, its hardly playable.

But from what you're telling us, the Macbook fits your needs more. Trust me, having the extra features the MBP gives you are nifty, but it quickly wears off if you're not doing anything really extensive. You said light film editing, and the MB can handle that just fine.

The MBP is overkill, and you'll have buyer's remorse for spending near 2.5k on a machine you wont be using to its fullest.

If you do go for the MB, be sure to get the Invisible Shield, it makes it so that the finger prints dont "smudge" on the machine, but rather, on the protective film. Also, if you apply the top film, it'll give your Macbook Black a glossy finish. Avoid if thats not your thing.

Oh, and one more thing: Sound. The MB's speakers are absolutely horrid. Some headphones or some speakers will fix that quick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
Thanks for the replies but, the thing im stuck on is im only going to play games once in a while. Does anyone have any games on thier macbook if so how do they run (preffered games sims2,c&c)

I am about to install Supreme Commander on my macbook. Give me a day or so and I will let you know how it works out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
I'm Fairly new at Mac but I've owned a Macbook and now have a Pro... for me the main issue was the screen size. The Macbook performed very well for me but I got tired of having to wear glasses to use it. Another thing that was a little bothersome was the volume. Wasn't quite loud enough. Also I went to an Apple store to buy the 17" Glossy and came out with a 15" Matte very happy...

OP
GeorgeTink
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Coming soon
Well after thought ive decided to go for a.................

Macbook ....... thats it

I decided that im not going to be playing games on it or be using pro editing software and i usually upgrade computers every couple of years so if i need somthing more capable ill get the newest model out.

So now leaves the question black or white macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book. Very sleek.
I bought a mac book for christmas. I wanted my first laptop as small and portable as possible but being a mac and casual laptop user it can cater to pretty much anything I would want to do and does it better than most other laptops. For someone like me going pro would only be spending more money (which is alot when your 17 and working part time) or increasing the size beyond what I wanted for a pretty unnecessary improvement in performance. I'd have to go for the plain macbook for the typical laptop user.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.