MAC G5 fan problems ((temperature sensor)

Reaction score
Greetings
I have a MAC G5 (dual 2 GHZ). Some time ago all the fans began to race and be constantly going at maximum speed. I had a technician look at it and reported the following:
Unable to thermal calibrate processors
ASD test is reporting AGP error only
Swapped AGP card - no change - same error

Conclusion is the sensor in the bottom case and the case itself needs to be changed @ $825.00 (Aus)

Is there a cheaper way to fix the problem?
Will having the fans going at max speed be harmful?
The machine runs OK but very noiset. I have built a wooden case around it with some insulation foam to deaden the noise which helps marginally.:Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Where does all the heat go if this thing is wooden box with the insulation foam?

OP
H
Reaction score
Wooden case

Its not really a box. The computer is under my desk so I have just put a wooden front on it with four large holes in it. The back of the desk does have openings for the heat to escape. There is not much room around the sides of the computer but front and back have enough room for air circulation. Touching the case is not hot only very slightly warm. Mind you in Melbourne Australia todau we are at 42 degrees which is about 110.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I would suggest getting it out of the box and desk, particularly the way the weather has been the last few days down there.

There is quite a bit of discussion at various forums on the heat failings of G5's, sorry to tell you. Do a Google of G5 overheating and see what you come up with.

Maybe a PCI slot fan might help?

Here is one link on power boards overheating:-

http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-54505.html

OP
H
Reaction score
Not really a problem with it overheating ?

Thanks for your comments.
I really don't think there is a problem with it overheating as all fans are going at maximumn speed. As mentioned I touch the case and front and neither are hot. The real issue is the fans and them going at contast maximumn sppeed. It is noisy.
I have had 2 technicians look at it and both agreed that having all 6 fans reving is not a problem other than the fans wearing out prematurely, in fact they said it probably kept it cooler than normal.

I found this and wandered if it may help
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G5/G5_drive_heat_tips.html

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if you don't think there is a problem, you have had it checked and the fans revving are not a problem where is the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How is the machine doing - any improvement? The article you linked to does mention the problem of G5 excessive HDD heat and one reads in forums like that of HDD failing, USB and Firewire ports not working and logic boards frying.

Sometimes think new model computers are like new model motor cars - by the third model run everything is pretty sweet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i assume you have ripped the sucker open and removed all dust from the fans and all the surrounding areas??? if not i highly suggest it....

also i dont know how good that box is for the heat because it sucks air from the front of the case and blows it out the back....if there is no fresh(aka cold) air coming from the front it is going to circulate hot air from the back to the front and simply be feeding hot air through your mac causing your fans to run constantly...

-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.