External Drive Icon Color

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
My wife got a 500GB external drive to use with Time Machine on my new iMac as a Christmas gift for me. Everything is working fine but occasionally the desktop icon is yellow and most of the time it's aqua colored. What's the significance in color change?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The yellow or gold colour with the Firewire symbol shows the drive, and when it is updated and online changes to the green colour. You can change the icons to whatever you wish.

OP
Doug in Alaska
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Thanks for your help. I understand how to change the color of the label (text) but how do I change the color of the desktop icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
when the disk is mounted as a normal disk it will be yellow/gold...
when it is aqua/blue it is connected with time machine...
It may take a while before time machine recognizes that the backup drive has been connected

at least, thats what I think... the same happens with me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Well, I can say for certainty that it is not Time Machine related, as I don't use TM and my icons are sometimes aqua and sometimes gold. I have two partitions on my external, and when they mount, the symbols are both gold. When I go to use one of the partitions (for anything) it turns aqua. Depending on what I am doing (backing up, accessing iTunes, etc.) the icon for the drive in use might (or might not) disappear, showing back up when the process is finished.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For 'online' in my earlier post, read as activated or selected, which causes the colour change.

OP
Doug in Alaska
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Thanks guys, I guess there's no way to change icon colors?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.