Questions Pre Purchase

Reaction score
Hi,

For the first time I am seriously considering buying a Macbook Pro rather than a Windows laptop, I use an iMac at work, and the laptop
I use at home runs on Linux, so I think that a Macbook makes sense now, price was off putting at first but I feel it would be worth it.
But before I do I have a couple of questions, I hope you can help.

1. If I have understood the other posts on here correctly I don't need to purchase Applecare when I buy the Macbook, I can buy
    it at any time during the first year. Correct? Also do Apple have E-Mail support? if its nothing major I'm more likely to email than call.
  2. I also seem to have a habit of breaking the power supplies that come with laptops, ( 3 laptops, 6 power supplies so far ), if
    my power supply breaks, will it be replaced under my warranty? Obviously not if I cause it to break.
  3. Are there any advantages to buying at an Apple Store? Apart from being able to walk out with it there and then. If I buy it online can I then
    take it to the store if something goes wrong with it for repair? What are the turn around times like for repairs (I've have been stung in the past
    by lengthy repair times)?
  4. Do apple ever do special offers on the Macbooks? e.g. Free iPod. I wouldn't think so, but I would be willing to wait a little, if it
    meant a free iPod as well. Would they offer me something in store if I buy it there and then to get the sale?
  5. Last question for now, I have seen a couple of times mentioned that Apple swap out equipment if there is something wrong in the first few weeks,
    does this only apply to equipment bought directly from them? - store or online.

If it makes any difference I live in the UK.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and for any reply you can give me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
1. you can buy Apple care at any time i the first year. Email support, not really - you can take it in to an apple store or just come here for help

2. I have never had a broken power supply, yes it is under warranty

3. No, but you can if you want to. If you buy elsewhere the apple store will not treat it any differently than any other mac.

4. No, but you might get an as new refurbished mac cheaper

5. its under warranty, they will attempt to fix any issues, then replace the unit

It is unlikely that you will have a problem with apple hardware, you are paying more for better quality, but apple are very good at customer support, and furthermore the apple community is excellent and helping users out, just look at this forum

hope that all helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Do apple ever do special offers on the Macbooks? e.g. Free iPod. I wouldn't think so, but I would be willing to wait a little, if it
meant a free iPod as well. Would they offer me something in store if I buy it there and then to get the sale?

If you are a student, yes. During the fall (back to school time) they often offer a free nano with the purchase of a Mac if you are a student.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.

Think it's 99% certain I'll get a Mac, will wait and see what happens at MacWorld, and if they come up with anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
Does buying Applecare now mean you get less coverage, as opposed to buying it in 12 months?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Does buying Applecare now mean you get less coverage, as opposed to buying it in 12 months?
AppleCare will extend your coverage by 24 months. For a total 36 months, default coverage and the additional 24 months.

Getting it sooner mean that you will not loss to much in phone support. Default phone shupport is ninety days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.