life span of macbooks?

Reaction score
whats the average life of a macbook? i herd its about 3 to 4 years..is that good? i dont know much about this..

what will most likely brake/fail or needs to be replace?

my macbook is about a month old now is buying apple care worth the money?

thanks

Reaction score
Depends on how well you look after it and how you use it (take it in the road etc.) If you look after it there is no reason why it shouldn't last many many years. Most people keep their computer for 3-4 years then upgrade, even when they do upgrade it's not because the old computer is broken they just need a newer more capable machine. Wait till the last few months before extending the warranty since you can take out an extra warranty any time during the first 12 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Usually a mac will last years and years, and the Apple OS typically supports machines that are 5 years old or more

The first thing to go will be the battery (replaceable) then the screen (unlikely)

OP
R
Reaction score
well im gussing it should last me 4 to 5 years i take god care of it..
also macbooks are still new..dose any one here have a old ibook that still runs fine and how old is it and any major work that need to be done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
if your only doing email and surfing, computers have reached a time hardware wise where it will last a lifetime.

software on the other hand, im sure thatll be dragging in five years time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
also macbooks are still new..dose any one here have a old ibook that still runs fine and how old is it and any major work that need to be done?

I haven't got a mac book but a G4 desktop built in 2001, bought in 2003 and still going strong.

I also own an old mac se30 from 1989 that still works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
well i had a 2nd hand ibook g4 for about 6 months and then sold it and my friend had it for 2month before dropping it and the hard drive going swapped it out and its still going to day.

i had a macbook for 5moths split a lot of tea on it and it died so just ordered a pro hoping for a longer life on this one.

basically it comes down to how you treat them but most computers last a long time if looked after can last for ever its just do you want to be running some thing that much more that 5 years old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
well i had a 2nd hand ibook g4 for about 6 months and then sold it and my friend had it for 2month before dropping it and the hard drive going swapped it out and its still going to day.

i had a macbook for 5moths split a lot of tea on it and it died so just ordered a pro hoping for a longer life on this one.

basically it comes down to how you treat them but most computers last a long time if looked after can last for ever its just do you want to be running some thing that much more that 5 years old.

i cant imagine PRO reacting to tea any better :)

Reaction score
It should last for many years but like all electronic products it could break at any time so if this is a concern of yours it may be worth taking out extra cover.

All you can do is look after your mac and hope that the good build quality and workmanship see you through until your next upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
I had a mac mini that was used, worked great, sold it to a fellow MacForum user, which he passed it on again. that thing is 5+ years old.

I have a macbook 1st gen 1.83ghz, on my second hard drive, need a new battery, but other then that it works awesome. i hope i get atleast another 5years out of this one..

Reaction score
it's like any other product, and apple has done like erery other company. Expected failure rates are studied and predicted, and the cost of replacing them is statistically calculated into the price. All they have done is add additional option to buy more warranty, which also has been statistically figured into the cost of the applecare. They sell as many as possible and that means the most reasonable price sensible to the company sales, with no expectation of losses in the cost of warranties. You are basically buying insurance. You will note, by the way, that they do not gamble past that year mark. Too hard for them to calculate or to keep parts for or service. Also, 3 years is a reasonable time for a manufacturer to hope you'd replace with a newer model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06 ghz 4gb Ram 1tb, Ipod Touch 1g, iPhone 3G, iBook G4 1.2ghz 1.25 GB

I have an iBook G4 1.2 and my wife has an iBook G4 933 both run great and are running Leopard. I have only upgraded them not becuase of a broken part, but because Leopard runs better with more memory. I did install a new hard drive in my 1.2 a 160GB!!! Anyhow, they both are great computers my 1.2 was introduced in Oct of 2005 and the 933 was about a year or half a year before that.

Reaction score
i bought my macbook 3 1/2 years ago, bought the retailer's 2 year extended warranty, which ran out 6 months ago. i have had nothing but problems with my macbook, throughout the time i've used it (thank goodness i bought the extended warranty!). i am learning from Apple certified reps, that a macbook typically lasts about 5 years. i am now having new problems with my macbook, and am trying to decide if i should just buy a new laptop (instead of pouring more $$ into this "older" laptop) and if that new laptop should be a pc instead of a mac. my apple experience has not been a good one, and apple has not offered anything to soften this blow for me (i've talked to them twice this week, including to a senior supervisor). even though my current problem is likely related to my past problems (repaired under both apple and retailer warranties), it's just unfortunate they say - and their quote to fix the problem is $100.00 more than my local apple certified techie shop!

C

chas_m

As some have already said, there's several factors involved in answering this question.

By far the biggest one is how carefully and thoughtfully you handle it. Presuming it doesn't have any factor defects, a well-cared-for Mac should last longer than you need it to.

But given the enormous flux of hardware, software and the internet, most people feel the need for an updated computer after about three to four years, and most manufacturers don't really support machines older than five or six years, so that works out about right.

I still have an original iPhone -- bought first day of issue 3.5 years ago. Still works perfectly. I'm typing this to you on a 2007 Blackbook, about the same age. Still works as well or better than the day I got it (larger HD and more RAM, plus an up-to-date OS). My wife does most of her work on a 2006 Mac Mini. Again, working perfectly.

I'm very likely to upgrade to a 15" MacBook Pro pretty soon and perhaps an iPhone 5 whenever that comes out ... but not because I have to, just because I need to stay closer to the top of the technology curve in my work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
My macbook is a few years old. Also have my ibook g4 1.33ghz original everything except i upgraded it to 1.5gigs ram and its still ticking 7 years later. Battery is at 879 cycles and still holds 4 hours charge. i'd say they outlast any pc laptop by far. my ibook has been thru **** and back and still keeps chuggin along. My macbookpro has also gone thru the grease and grime of my old mechanic job 2 years old now and still strong as an ox.

I'd recommend to anyone wanting a laptop that works great for years trouble free!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The lifespan of the Macbook will be the length of time it can do all the tasks you ask of it. If that's just basic things I'm sure that'll be 5+ years. To that end I know my grandma wrote her book on a colour classic in the 2000's. Finished it last year. So a little TLC and the macbook till last for ages.

Just one word. Never ever put any liquids near it. Even in a drinking glass. Move to the table for your water. Just too many horror stories on MB liquid spills.

Reaction score
it seems everyone has had good apple experiences, except me :(

so, if i got a macbook lemon, why wouldn't a huge corporation like apple, offer me some solace regarding my on-going problems with my macbook? i have taken very good care of my macbook, so the technical problems have nothing to do with my care/use of my mac. my harddrive had to be replaced a year after i bought my macbook, and then again a year later. now it appears the motherboard is malfunctioning. if apple is such a good company, why wouldn't they stand behind their product? it's not like i'm suddenly having problems with my 3 1/2 year old mac and wanting apple to do something about it - i've had problems with it since the beginning!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Folks with negative experiences always have a reason to post (to try to find a solution...or to share their experiences/issues). Folks who have had positive experiences don't necessarily have a reason to post...because everything is fine!:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

so, if i got a macbook lemon, why wouldn't a huge corporation like apple, offer me some solace regarding my on-going problems with my macbook? i have taken very good care of my macbook, so the technical problems have nothing to do with my care/use of my mac. my harddrive had to be replaced a year after i bought my macbook, and then again a year later. now it appears the motherboard is malfunctioning. if apple is such a good company, why wouldn't they stand behind their product? it's not like i'm suddenly having problems with my 3 1/2 year old mac and wanting apple to do something about it - i've had problems with it since the beginning!

1. Hard drives are not Macs. They're also not made by Apple. Different issue entirely.

2. As for your latest issue -- what did the Mac Genius at your local Apple Retail Store say when you went in, showed them the problem and your documentation of the issues you've had with it?

As you've seen in the posts above (and in at least a hundred other threads just on this forum alone!), Apple most definitely DOES stand behind their products. But OF COURSE they try to fix the issues before just throwing the machine in a landfill, and from your own post the previous issues were with the hard drive -- which Apple doesn't make -- and again according to you Apple replaced it both times. That's called "standing behind your product."

But don't take any of our words for it -- grab a copy of last month's Consumer Reports. When it comes to a) low incidence of problems in the first place and b) what's done to correct it, nobody in the industry even comes CLOSE to Apple.

Reaction score
I to have a MacBook. It's a 2007 version early to mid year. I am attempting to decide to get a new one or a iMac or possibly neither. My MacBook battery is dying, I don't have enough ram, the optical drive just ejects everything I put in it. I do have an iPad 2. I am no longer in school and now just surf the net, email, and occasional game. Should I bandaid my current MacBook or purchase something else?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.