Can't Repair Permissions

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently sold my iMac and bought a G5 powermac, subsequently I upgraded to Leopard. I did a clean install. The problem is that now when I try to repair permissions it just sits there with the bar 1/5 full and doesn't move right from the start. I've tried all of the obvious stuff like letting it sit(for over an hour) and restarting the computer but it just won't budge. It's not a huge problem because I haven't really been having trouble with any programs or anything but I don't want to run into trouble in the future and not be able to resolve it this way.

I know there are other programs out there that will do the same thing, but I'd really rather just stick with disk utility.

Is anyone else having this problem? Do you think it'll be resolved in an upcoming(soon I hope) update.

Other than that I like Leopard. It's more responsive then I thought it would be(although I've never run 10.4 on this computer so I can't compare).

Thanks a lot!

edit: sorry the specs are:
Power Mac G5
1.6 GHz SP
1.25 GB RAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How much time are you giving it dogmatadram?

Repair Permissions does not seem to move for about fifteen minutes, and flies through all those to be ignored SUID warnings. If still won't work boot from the install DVD, go to utilities, verify disk and run Repair Permissions there.

Repair Permissions is much, much more involved under Leopard than previous OS's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
Or try from safe mode.. Hold shift when booting computer up and run repair in safe mode, then reboot like normal and try again.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks

Maybe I wasn't giving it enough time. I'm just used to it only taking a few minutes in Tiger. I didn't know that the process changed a lot in Leopard.

I'll try leaving going for longer this time and if that doesn't work I'll try safe mode, and if that doesn't work I'll use Main Menu.

Thanks!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Are you at 10.5.1? I believe there was a problem with 10.5, but was fixed in 10.5.1.

OP
D
Reaction score
I am running 10.5.1 and it turns out there wasn't a problem; apparently I'm just very impatient.

I did get some questionable feedback though.

Like this:

ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Desktop".

as well as this:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Is this normal? It's very different from the results I got on Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
Try these apps:

MainMenu
YASU
MacJanitor

I had a similar issue and used YASU - seems to have solved the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.