What Hard drives are used in an Intel Mac Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 core Mac Pro, 21.5" iMac, 13" Macbook Pro, iPhone 4
I'm possible looking at getting a Mac Pro and it looks like buying extra HD separately would be a lot cheaper. What drives do Apple use? Will any SATAII 300mb/s, 7200rpm hard drive do? I was looking at some Western Digital drives (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?WD-2500KS) which like most others are about half the price Apple charge for adding the drive when you order.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Reaction score
Any SATAII 3gb will work.

My MacPro came with a Western Digital WDC WD2500AAJS-41RYA0 with only 8meg of cache.

I replaced it at Christmas-time with a Western Digital WDC WD7500AAKS-00RBA0 (750GB with 16M cache) and went ahead with a clean install of Leopard while I was at it.

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any SATAII 3gb will work.

My MacPro came with a Western Digital WDC WD2500AAJS-41RYA0 with only 8meg of cache.

I replaced it at Christmas-time with a Western Digital WDC WD7500AAKS-00RBA0 (750GB with 16M cache) and went ahead with a clean install of Leopard while I was at it.

Cool, thanks for the info.
I've built my own PCs up to now but I'm looking at making the switch!

Reaction score
No problem.

I used to build my own too. You'll appreciate how easy it is to install a HD into the Mac Pro (if you haven't done it yet).

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about graphics cards? Can you order the cheap 7300 option and then put your own in or is that a bit risky with drivers etc?

Reaction score
As long as you're talking about the NVIDIA 7300GT that is supported, then you should be able to purchase after-market and add it later.

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As long as you're talking about the NVIDIA 7300GT that is supported, then you should be able to purchase after-market and add it later.

but sticking a beefy nVidia 8800 in there would be a no no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
I ordered my mac pro with the 500 GB drive, which was a seagate. I had signed up for the developer discount so the price difference wasn't much.
I then added another seagate to it from newegg. it was very cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
but sticking a beefy nVidia 8800 in there would be a no no?

You could, but it'd only run if you were using Windows through BootCamp.

As far as I know there are only 3 supported cards -- 2 by NVidia and 1 by ATI.

Check out this link..
http://www.apple.com/macpro/graphics.html

I would suspect you could also use any of the PCI-E 16x cards from the last model G5's but that'd be going backwards in terms of power.

To the original poster, I would be best to get the ATI X1900 XT installed. That card still sells for $400. I think it's only a $250 upgrade from the 7300GT.

Reaction score
Another idea worth considering is to put a fast sata hd such as a western digital raptor running at 10,000 rpm as your system drive for the OS. And then install a larger capacity drive for storage as your second drive.

Reaction score
BTW I always built my own PC's and I made the switch a few months back to a MBP for my laptop, had that for a while and then switched my main desktop PC for a imac, not looked back mate.

I've not missed anything, I thought I would have installed windows by now via boot camp but I just haven't needed to.

Hope you enjoy your mac when you get it.

Reaction score
The hard disk in my Mac Pro has suffered severe hardware failure and I require a donor drive for parts. The model required is a Western Digital WDC WD2500AAJS-41RYA0.

I noticed this model was mentioned in this forum and would like to know if anyone has this model, would they be interested in selling it?

I have managed to track down a new WD2500AAJS but this was no good because the 41RYA0 has to match also.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Reaction score
Another idea worth considering is to put a fast sata hd such as a western digital raptor running at 10,000 rpm as your system drive for the OS. And then install a larger capacity drive for storage as your second drive.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do in my G5 (PPC D2.0) but I'm just wondering about the overall reliability of WD drives. I've been a Seagate guy ever since I started working with the guts of computers and I haven't had one go south on me yet, knock on wood. I read the reviews on Newegg about the Raptor and they appear to be pretty well regarded but it seems like people tend to write their reviews right after they install a piece. That doesn't tell me much about what to expect two or three years down the road. Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread but this really struck a chord with me.

As for installing new drives in a Mac Pro, I honestly don't think it could be easier unless it installed itself, which it almost does ;P .

shawn

Reaction score
Willing to pay $800 USD for a match

Western Digital Hard Drive required: WD2500AAJS-41RYA0
DCM with last five digits matching: V2MAN
Willing to pay $800 USD for a matching drive.

New used or refurbished.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 14gb ram 24" LED Cd & 23" Cd
$800 for a hard drive. are you crazy?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.