Want to be an ex PC user, please twist my arm.

Reaction score
Ok, I know this has been brought up 11ty billion times for sure. However, please respect an ignorant computer n00b and offer opinions.

I was pressed yesterday to check out the Apple display at Best Buy(which Ive shrugged past everytime I was there). Well, I fell in love. The iMacs were visions to behold and the packaging was so convenient.

Im tired of running virus scans, spyware scans and taking my desktop in for service every 6 months because its acting buggy. Ive been told(time and time again) that this will never happen with a mac. However, after reading many threads on this forum, macs seem to be very buggy in their own right.

I do NOT do any gaming nor plan on it. I will NOT use this for watching movies or tv. I will be using it for video, photo and music storage. Possibly some photo/video editing. Mostly surfing, email and chat.

Pros:
1) All in one packaging. No heavy towers to fiddle with or vacuum out every 2 weeks.
2) Easy UI (widgets are so friggin cool)
3) No need to upgrade
4) No virus's or crashing(blue screens?)
5) Everyone swears by it

Cons:
1) 20" or 24" screen dilemma. Buy or die. Have to choose at time of purchase, no ability to upgrade in the future.
2) Have to re-buy all my software for mac compatibility(ie: PS CS2 ouch)
3) Pricey entrance fee
4) Still seems to have intermittant issues(at least apple stores seem to offer great service)
5) Fear of learning curve to get to comfortable user level

So there you have it. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Ok, here's my opinions on each of your pros and cons:

Pros:

1. I agree, a great feature of Imacs.
2. Agree also.
3. Well you will upgrade, to your next imac in a few years time but apart from that you're right again.
4. There are kernel panics which are kind of crashes and come apps can crash. But they are very rare so 99.9% of the time it's really smooth sailing.
5. Not everyone does. I even don't. Well not for everything. But for what you want the imac for I say it's the best option out there.

Cons:

1. You have to kind of guess your use of the imac in the next few years and buy accordingly. Some people think the 20 inch model has a little screen issue where it's just doesn't look right at some angles. Personally it looks just fine to me. But the 24 inch model is supposed to have avoided this issue. Personally either one would be a great purchase.

2. You can use your old software on Windows XP or vista on your imac if you so wish to. But for most apps there is good Mac alternatives. And some are even free. Also you don't have to rebuy Photoshop again. Just contact them and they'll swap over your license and give you Mac PS discs. Ie, after it all legally you'll be able to use it on the mac and no longer on the PC. Like a quick format swap. It costs a few dollars but nothing like rebuying it again.

3. It's rather reasonable for what you get. About the same give or take as a equivalent PC. That's without the Mac Operating system and bundled applications. Which is one of the stars of the whole thing.

4. Yes every machine be it pc, a mac or heck even a toaster will have issues for some people. And here we tend to get a lot of problems that need solving due to the nature of the problem. Really on the whole most mac users are running their machine trouble free. I am one of those people. I've had no serious problem with any of my macs to date. And yes I agree Apple have some of the best customer service I've ever seen.

5. There is a learning curve. It's not that great though. If you're scared I'd wait for the 10.5 (leopard) edition of the "Missing Manual for OS X (it's a book) to come out. That should really help. If you don't want that there's always this forum. Ask any questions you have and someone'll try to answer them.

The imac really isn't a hardcore games machine. It can play most games though, just a custom built PC will do much better. Still since you won't ever be doing that, you're set. The imac will fly at doing all the tasks you want it to.

Have fun mac shopping and good luck with it in the future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Hyper. I switched about six months ago. I bought a Mac Book Pro - and it is quite simply the best machine I have ever owned. And I have owned and built many - many PCs. I have had Dells, Gateways, IBMs, Toshibas, Compaqs, Packard bells, Acers, and other brands you probably don't get in US Eveshams, Rocks, Demonite Alienware, Panrix etc etc... Going right back to an Amstrad and Atari. I still have a windows PC and I hate it. In the next month or so I'll be fully macced up when I get an Imac to replace my desktop. The ONLY reason I stuck with PCs so long is for games.

There is the option to use windows on a mac machine as well now. So using bootcamp with a copy of windows might ease the software spend. But seriously the joy of being able to surf without constant virus updates , firewall issues etc etc is worth it in itself.

Though of course the more popular mac's get the more likely viruses will eventually appear. But for now... it's the nutz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
I believe if you have a serial key for PS CS2, Adobe will give you the Mac version. Not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.1 GHz Intel i7, 16 GB Ram
I switched

My first introduction to a computer was the original all-in-one mac and that strange thing called a mouse that all IBM users made fun of. It was great and our firm used them for about 7 years until we switched. I thought it was the easiest thing in the world to get used to.

I switced to an iMac at home this spring. I think its a much neater package overall and I love the LACK of cluter. All of my components are wireles, my airport extreme router is very powerful and works like a charm and I guess I just find the whole exprience...quite cool. I quite like Apple's focus on pictures, music and other media. My daughter and son who are in university have now converted to Apple notebooks. I wouldn't worry about your learning...its part of the fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27inch, 3.4GHz Intel Core i5, 28GB DDR3, Yosemite
I too had been a PC user for several years until 2 years ago when I finally got tired of all the trojans, worms and everything else you can think of the PC's are susceptible to. I bought a G5 tower and have never been happier. Today, I did alot of upgrading to it and it's like the machine had a "rebirth".

In the two years I've had this machine I've never experienced anything like I did on my old Dell. Especially when it came to rendering Video, executing applications or anything creative. I wouldn't trade my Apple for a PC, ever.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for answering honestly. I thought I was going to have to put my flamesuit on getting ready for all the "search" posts.

I guess it comes down to the 20 or 24" screen. It should be so tough right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Yep! I also had PCs for years and had enough of the Virus Software slowing the things down, I always seemed to be spending time just keeping the thing running, then I got a MacBook, and its the Best Computer I have ever had, it just works......Always! and have not had any problems. I am now going to get myself a MBP, just waiting to see if any new models are coming out in January.
Chris

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for answering honestly. I thought I was going to have to put my flamesuit on getting ready for all the "search" posts.

I guess it comes down to the 20 or 24" screen. It should be so tough right?

you don't have to worry too much about getting flamed if you keep writing well thought out, legible, polite posts like you have so far.

welcome aboard and let us know if you have any issues once you pick up that beauty. :)

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, HyperM3.

No arm twisting here, I'm afraid. :D

I would suggest you drop by an Apple Store and have a look at an iMac, see if you like the screen or not. I find the colours and contrast stunning but maybe it will be a different experience for you.

As for your software problem, I have read in here somewhere that Adobe has a cross-grade offer for those switching from a WinBox to a Mac and others before me posted in here the same thing as well.

It seems to me you need to contact Adobe directly (a fast search on their website didn't bring anything): maybe someone can either drop in this thread to give you a direct link or you can get Adobe on the phone and explain the situation.

OP
H
Reaction score
you don't have to worry too much about getting flamed if you keep writing well thought out, legible, polite posts like you have so far.

welcome aboard and let us know if you have any issues once you pick up that beauty. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome. I think Im just going to pull the trigger on the 24" iMac. My motto is, I like to do things once and do them right the first time. However, I still tend to upgrade every couple years out of boredom anyway. My wallet takes big hits from my motto. I think I need some sort of intervention.

Anyway, back on topic. Ill report back after I get it so I can thank everyone that had a hand in my purchase.

M

MacHeadCase

Keep us up to date with your findings! Hope you like the Mac platform!

Remember: you will like it as long as you don't insist it acts, looks and feels like Windows. Take OS X for what it is: it's a different way of doing things on a computer. From what I see on Mac-Forums, those that don't like their Mac and end up selling it and going back to M$ are those who cannot adapt to the new ways of doing stuff and expected to use a Windows clone on a sleek looking Macintosh.

Good luck! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Found the info on Adobe

Adobe will allow you to perform a cross-grade, or cross-platform upgrade, of your Adobe product, assuming it meets the upgrade qualifications and provided you send them a signed Letter of Software Destruction. The Letter of Destruction states that you agree to delete all copies of the product you are exchanging and also that you will not "sell, transfer, give away, donate, or otherwise distribute the exchanged Adobe product or copies to anyone else."

You will still need to pay the upgrade cost, and you will need to conduct the purchase via telephone by calling Adobe Sales at 1-800-833-6687 (see Adobe.com for international numbers). The Letter of Software Destruction may be faxed, e-mailed, or snail-mailed to Adobe.

M

MacHeadCase

Excellent louishen! Will bookmark your post for future help on the Adobe cross-grade matter. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
Hi there,
I too was a long time pc user. In fact, I built all of my pc's from scratch. I used xp, never wanting to go to vista since I had used it and didn't care for it. I used ubuntu for a while. Then, I started thinking about macs.

I finally made the move to a mac pro about a month an a half ago. I think it was the best decision I ever made.

I do like the fact that I can run a windows program when I need to. I have xp installed with fusion, and I can use my work program that I need. So far, it's been fine.

There are a lot of positives. I just ordered the missing manual and look forward to reading that. So far, I'm doing okay on my own with the help from these boards.
I plan on converting my 8 year old from his pc laptop to a macbook soon.

I considered an imac, but don't care much for the glossy screens. I was running dual monitors with my pc, so I had screens already. The macpro is a workhorse. My friend has an imac and loves it.

OP
H
Reaction score
So I ordered the 24" iMac. I ordered from the education store though. Is there anything less put into the computer or missing programs because I didnt order it through the regular store? I kinda feel that it was too easy to get the discount.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.