OSX and hard disks....Question!

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here. Been a mac user since 2001. My mac is a daul 1GHz g4 tower and its still going strong. :)

Ok now I have a dumb question because I am bad with computers:

My last OSX upgrade was Panther years ago. I never got Tiger. But I got 10.5 Leopard for XMas, and I figured I'll do a clean install. However, recently I also got a second Hard Drive for my computer to store design files and stuff. I've already backed up my important work, but my question is this: if I do a clean install on my first hard drive, will the contents of my second hard drive be erased or be corrupted? I know Windows and Linux wouldn't affect it so I hope Macs don't either.

I appreciate all responses. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
A clean install will only wipe the contents of the installation disk, nothing else.

It is the best setting by the way, clean install that is

if you have room on that second drive that will completely backup your old system, you could create a bif disk image on it using disk utility and clone the panther set-up first, just to be sure

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.