Question about RAM upgrades

Reaction score
I recall reading something on here about some cheap RAM upgrades, (1GB for like $150) And I'm wondering... how easy is it to upgrade your own ram on the G4 Powerbook?

TIA
-Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
MUMacUser said:
I recall reading something on here about some cheap RAM upgrades, (1GB for like $150) And I'm wondering... how easy is it to upgrade your own ram on the G4 Powerbook?

TIA
-Kevin

Upgrading the RAM on Apple notebooks is extremely simple. Just be sure to buy quality memory.

M

mac_noobie

I recall one time I bought cheap RAM for my PC and it ran so hot you couldnt even get near it. I felt the heat through a 2" wood desk. Definatly get quality RAM.

A

Animatronica

A lot of times the "premium" brand memory is the "cheaper" stuff only renamed and marked up to make it look like your getting something of higher quality. Thats Extremely cheap for a 1gb dimm....and the expense is at the quality. I would stay away form that type..Personally I would only get either Kingston, Corsair or Simpletech. Those brands have done very well and have never had any issues with either.

L

LClark1L

Stay away from crappy RAM. I've seen my PC (I'm switching!!!) die with low-budget RAM, and that's a scary thing to have happen in the middle of your joyous computing experience.

M

m1k

What is the specific type of memory that the Powerbooks take?

-Kev

DDR PC2700 RAM :)

And adding new RAM is really simple. Unscrew a few screws and you'll see a slot for adding new RAM (You won't see anything else, just the RAM slot, so you can't screw anything up at all). You just pop the RAM in the slot and put the screws back, and you're PowerBook runs faster than an athlete on crack.

Good luck! And be sure to get some quality RAM!

S

starrin

Hi,

I just ordered a 1GB stick and I have a PowerBook 15inch 1.25Ghz. I believe there is two 512 sticks in my machine right now.

Which bay would you all recommend I use for the 1 GB stick?

Thanks,

Jason

M

m1k

It doesn't really matter, either bay should do the trick. You'll still have 1.512GB RAM, and the different bays don't really give greater performance or anything. So just slide out the nearest 512MB stick and slide in your new 1GB stick.

Good luck!

S

starrin

m1k said:
It doesn't really matter, either bay should do the trick. You'll still have 1.512GB RAM, and the different bays don't really give greater performance or anything. So just slide out the nearest 512MB stick and slide in your new 1GB stick.

Good luck!

Cool -- I really appreciate the feedback.

--Jason

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.