Applications failing to load on Macbook

Reaction score
Booted up my Macbook today and a number of applications are failing to load. I can't get Comicbooklover, iTunes or Safari (amongst others) to open. I click on the open tab or the icon on the dash or in the finder window and nothing happens.

I checked the log and found that all the apps that fail to load are looking for the same file

Library not loaded:/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/WebKit
Reason: image not found /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/WebKit

The Webkit image appears to be in the system files, but the WebCore file in the A folder is not there.

Not really sure whether something is missing or why that would have happened :( Really need help to sort this so any responses greatly received :)

Here's a copy of one of the error logs in case it helps. :)

Date/Time: 2007-12-29 10:58:10.077 +0100
OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
Report Version: 4

Command: ComicBookLover
Path: /Applications/ComicBookLover.app/Contents/MacOS/ComicBookLover
Parent: WindowServer [58]

Version: 1.3 (790)

PID: 242
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit
Reason: image not found

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Try re-applying the 10.4.11 combo update from the apple site, that will re-install Safari. There are 2 combos, one for PPC and the other for Intel

After that repair disk permissions with Disk Utility

OP
N
Reaction score
I tried reapplying the 10.4.11 update but the update fails with the installer stating the same error above :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you set up a new user and see if the apps open on that, that would then indicate its something in your user account

OP
N
Reaction score
It happens in all the user accounts on the MacBook. How do I find the Disk Utility to do the repair disk? I tried to use Macbook help, but that isn't loading for the same reasons....oh the irony :)

edit: nevermind...found that :)

It seems that one little file problem is stopping some apps from working, as iMovie and others are working fine. The issue is the missing file in the system folder listed in the error above....but not sure how to fix it :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Used the disk utility to repair permissions and still no improvement :(

Any ideas guys?

Thanks for the help so far :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am on 10.4.11 as well, if the combo update hasn't worked I have PMed you a possible fix

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Open up a Finder window and go to (or try to go to) the folders mentioned in the error report. Can you see them yourself? If not, then no amount of permission repairing will make them reappear.

Now if you CAN see them, then perhaps some other maintenance utilities will help. Pick up Onyx or MainMenu and run the full gamut of utilities... especially the one that updates the Locate Database. Do a reboot after running each single one (don't do a whole bunch and then reboot).

OP
N
Reaction score
I can't see the missing file which is weird. :( Thanks anyway for the advice.

@louishen, thanks for taking the time to upload that mate.....will let you know how I get on with it:)

OP
N
Reaction score
Tried that file but no joy, error message said the file had the wrong architecture.

Command: ComicBookLover
Path: /Applications/ComicBookLover.app/Contents/MacOS/ComicBookLover
Parent: WindowServer [67]

Version: 1.3 (790)

PID: 287
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore
Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore: mach-o, but wrong architecture

Does that mean I need a Webcore file from the A folder of a same spec Macbook as mine, or is the file specific to each machine.

Also, I noticed that although the version of OS X I have installed is 10.4.11, the 10.4.11 update does not show as taking place on my list of installed updates :( Would a problem with installation have cause this......I would install the update again, but the installer will not work because of this problem. :(

Really stumped now, particularly as I can't have caused this as the files are read only and need my admin password to alter them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
did you download the Combo update from the apple site and run it from your desktop

OP
N
Reaction score
no, where is that on the site?

I did try an update link from the site but the installer failed with the same error as the other apps

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks, downloading that, but if it uses the same installer as the regular download it won't work as the installer crashes when trying to access the same file as the applications that won't work :(

M

MacHeadCase

OK do this.

Download the updater you need and save it to your desktop.

Unplug all unnecessary peripherals.

Restart by holding down the Shift key (this is Safe Boot mode).

Make sure that all apps are quit, install the update that is on your desktop and don't use your Mac while the install is underway.

Restart normally when the install is done. See if things are ok and report back. Good luck! :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Started in safe mode.....when I try to use the update file it refuses to open :(

Same issue as before.....looking for a system file - says Library not loaded:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Webkit.frameworks/Versions/A/Frameworks/Webcore.framework/Versions/A/Webcore

Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Webkit.frameworks/Versions/A/Webkit

Reason: Image not found

From what I understand now, I have a problem with the update, but I can't reinstall the update because of the problem....anyone say catch 22? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you recently installed (or tried to install) the Safari 3 beta for Tiger? If so, maybe that's part of the problem. If all else fails, try installing Safari 3 beta, then uninstall it (I believe the installer has the option to uninstall the beta and revert you back to Safari 2). Once done, then try the 10.4.11 update.

OP
N
Reaction score
Not tried to install the beta of Safari so it won't be that...and as for installing any update, the installer does not respond with any updates I have tried...be it the 10.4.11 combo, iTunes or whatever.

Do I need to system restore? If so, how do I do it when my macbook came without a DVD I think. :(

Bit annoyed that the recnet OS X update has borked my apps. :( Thought macs did away with this nonsense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see much of a way around a reinstall at this point. Your MacBook should have come with an install DVD.

As for Macs doing away with this nonsense... well the files/folder couldn't have just up and disappeared for no reason. If you hadn't tried installing something like the Safari beta or a System update, then something else is amiss here. You may want to do a complete hardware test, especially of the hard drive, to be sure you haven't gotten some bad sectors or something like that.

M

MacHeadCase

I have installed each and every update and never had disappearing files. Something happened on your system that files got deleted and I can tell you it certainly is not the norm. Maybe you deleted a folder without noticing, I dunno.

I'm leaning towards lifeisabeach's comment that it looks like a reinstall is in order.

I could tell you to download Pacifist and use it to fish out of your restore disk the missing file but if you can't download or instal anything, that won't do you any good.

BTW the How To I gave you earlier, if you really want to be safe when you install updates? Follow those steps, you'll give every chance for updates to install properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.