iTunes and external hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Hi All,

I'm using 7.5(19) and have my library on an external hard drive. This has been fine for months and months. The other day it started to come up with that cannot save library error which I thought was odd.

Whilst trying to figure it out and ejected the external drive and re mounted it. Normally it is connected through afp as this seems to work better for me, is quicker, auto mounts after sleep etc. This time I connected via smb and the iTunes library is fine now. It saves, I can add music, playlists, etc.

My question is why did it stop working with afp and why isn't it still working? I thought maybe a permissions error but they are ok. If I connect via afp and browse the itunes folder through the finder there is nothing there.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Has this only happened since updating iTunes, might be a bug in the update.

I would try mounting with smb or plain IP, IP is faster than AppleShare anyway

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep I think you are right..

How do I connect with plain IP? Whenever I try and do that it selects smb through connect to server. Or do you mean via iTunes?

Cheers,

Adam

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried connecting just via IP and it defaults to afp anyway and doesn't solve the files not showing properly in finder. Attached images to show what I mean. First is connected via afp and second via smb.. you will see what I mean about the available files so this bit is something to do with the type of connection rather than iTunes?

I also find that when connected via afp the drive remounts after the computer being in standby and it doesn't with smb.

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.