My HD has suffered fatal hardware error

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new, 'cause I'm having quite the issue. I have a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 1 GB 667 MHz RAM, 250 GB, iMac, still running Mac OS X 10.4.

When bootcamp first came out with the Beta, I got it and have had the hard drive partitioned with OS X and Windows. However, since the Beta expired I can't use the Windows partition anymore. But I still have the partition.

Question 1:
How do I get rid of that partition

Second, and probably more important, when I open up Disk Utility, it tells me that my drive has reported a fatal hardware error. It also says, S.M.A.R.T. Status if failing, but don't know what that means. When I clock on the partition in Disk Utility, it won't let me choose anything, like repair, or restore, or erase, or anything. I can use my computer like normal, but I don't think this is good.

Question 2:
How do I fix this?

Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Both questions require you to back-up first. Basically, buy or borrow an external and back-up everything as soon as you possibly can.

You will need a new hard drive very soon, the S.M.A.R.T. Status is the disks self diagnostics, the disk it telling your mac it is on its way out, so again -back-up now.

If it is under warranty, take it back to Apple, if not you can pick up a new hard disk for not that much. The new disk can be formatted just for mac

OP
Z
Reaction score
I back up pretty frequently, and have an external HD. So I'll do that again.

It is still under warranty, so just tell them that my HD is failing? If they fix it, will it erase everything? Which is fine, just wondering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
They will have to put in a fresh new drive, but good to see you have a good back-up strategy in place, you can use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to make a bootbable clone of your mac partition

OP
Z
Reaction score
Alright, I'll get a hold of Apple and see what they say. Thanks for your help! I mostly want to clear everything and get it back to normal, as I want to sell it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.