Worried

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro with oodles of memory
OK it's 4:45 AM and I can't sleep because I have ordered a MacPro and don't know how I can transfer my document, address book and favorites to my new Mac. The Mac will come with Windows XP and Parallels on it. Is there some place I can go to see the correct proceedure?
Thanks much,
Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
do you currently have a mac now...
If so what kind...

For your documents, just coppy them to a flash drive and transfer them to your computer

For your address book (if you have a mac), 1)open up address book, 2)click File --> Export --> Address Book Archive... Then open that file on your new mac

For your favorites (if you are using safari), 1)open up safari, 2)click File --> Export Bookmarks... Then, when you get your new computer, open up safari and click File --> Import Bookmarks, and select that file

Hope That Helps...
Goodnight... ;)

Reaction score
Also, don't forget to de-authorize iTunes (if you use it) on your old Mac.

I just upgraded from Tiger to Leopard on my Mac Pro a couple of days ago. I'm relatively new to the Mac world and I wasn't 100% sure of what I was doing but I got through it with the help of Google. With a couple of exceptions -- like Address Book, iCal, and your browser favorites -- if you have a good backup of your home directory you'll be able to recover all of your documents and settings.

As for applications you may want to back those up as well, if for nothing else so you know what to reinstall later. I dragged-and-dropped most of my apps from the Tiger disc to the Leopard apps folder and most worked alright. I had to reinstall VMWare because its installer adds the daemons for the VMWare networking components, etc. As long as you have your registration info and install media you'll be alright.

Just to be on the safe-side you can leave your old Mac in-tact for awhile until you make sure you have everything working on your new Mac.

Congrats on the Mac Pro, you're gonna love it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks folks, but I am at present a PC user. All of my software is PC. I know favorites and address can be copied to the Mac because Apple will do it for $150.00, but it is such a pain to take both machines in.
I have no idea what is in my PC document settings, but I am quite sure I can copy them over. It's the address book and favorites that I am concerned with.
The new Mac should be here next week, maybe then I will get some sleep.
Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Thanks folks, but I am at present a PC user. All of my software is PC. I know favorites and address can be copied to the Mac because Apple will do it for $150.00, but it is such a pain to take both machines in.
I have no idea what is in my PC document settings, but I am quite sure I can copy them over. It's the address book and favorites that I am concerned with.
The new Mac should be here next week, maybe then I will get some sleep.
Al
Welcome to M-F and best of luck with your new Mac Pro when it arrives!

I'll offer the suggestion that you keep the paid Apple service as an option. Look around for information, here, through Google, and at the Apple website, and see if it looks as if you can do it yourself. If you can't, just take the machines into the Apple store and let them do it for you.

Back up your PC. You *do* back it up, don't you? ;D Back it up. Physically bring the PC and Mac Pro to the Apple store. Let them worry about doing the transfer and getting it right. Physically bring both machines home. Plug in your Mac Pro and have fun!

I'm tired of hassles with computers, and I've lost too much sleep, time, and stomach acid over them. (I've built my own PC, hacked Linux kernels, edited Windows registries, et al.) Things do work differently in the Mac world, generally better and with far less hassles once you know what to do. However, sometimes it's just very freeing to let someone else do things for you. While I can be tight with money, there are times when money can be well spent. You might consider this to be one of those times.

Again, best of luck with the new machine!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
if you are using firefox on pc it's easy for all that... I searched on the net but just recently I found an extension for firefox called 'google browser sync' that uses your gmail account to save your settings etc so you can sync with all firefox and a few other browsers... (I loaded browser sync on my pc firefox, turned on my mac firefox, loaded the extension on it and voila! done)

the address book if you are using the same prog on the pc as you are on the mac often it's quite simple as saving specific files to a thumb drive or even networking it.. (oh and all you need is a reg ethernet cable :D - this works for transferring your docs too) and just select the files you want to copy to your mac... that's how I did it and it was a lot easier then I thought. The mac saw my pc quite easily - just remember to either turnoff the firewall if you connect directly to the mac and in the pc I think I had to give permission ... I had all files that I wanted to put on my mac on a sep partition and just gave permission for that partition). The mac sees it as it does a thumbdrive or cd, choose your files, drag them to the desktop and the you can do what you gotta do...

I found the easiest thing for me to do was to get thunderbird on pc then if you are using a diff email prog do the conversion on that, then all you need to do is copy the profile folder (lots of instructs all over for that) and copy it over to your mac and replace the mac thunderbird profile with the one you have (the same is tru for firefox but google browser sync is much easier I think).. Once all this is on your mac, it's much easier to find all you need if you are planning to use mac mail or something else.

LOL I can't believe that ppl will actually charge you 150 to do that...

I hope that helps... sorry if it's not totally clear (I got a headache)

Reaction score
for fav's, if you use firefox - install google browser sync and it'll do it all for you once you install firefox on the mac.

for the address book, export to a txt file and import into the address book....or save contacts as vcards and then import them into the address book on the mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Oh and sorry I can't help much with parallels as I've just started using it myself... quite a nifty program from what my father tells me hehe... but I think you only need to access the documents folder you copied over to the mac it doesn't need to be loaded into the parallels side or a pc partition...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As coke says "you folks are the real thing".
Thanks for all the info, I wil put it to good use.
Can't wait for the new Mac. 4 more days :)
Al

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.