Leopard Gone Very Slow on iBook

Reaction score
I have the 1.42Ghz iBook with 1Gb RAM. I upgraded *not a fresh install* to Leopard when it was released but began to notice that things hung and I had to hard power down the laptop, or that things ran really slowly. Example is that sometimes when I'm typing I'm about 5 letters ahead of the screen and I'm not a fast typer! Also, the window animations are very slow, such as minimizing or maximising.

I tried to verify disk permissions but that just sat and sat and never finished. Same with repair disk permissions. The SMART status for the drive is verified.

I have just done a Time Machine backup, then resinstalled, with a full erase, Leopard, then restored my settings, profiles etc, and it's exactly the same. Sluggish.

What concerns me most if the failure of the disk permissions verification.

Has anyone seen this kind of issue before and what can I do? Is it possible to view the status of the mac and what's running on it, to see if I can see what's hogging the system?

*update* I've finally managed to get repair to run (took about an hour) and this is what I got:

Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions verification complete

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't worry about them. Here is an Apple doc relating to these warnings:-

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306925

No doubt they will disappear with the next Software Update.

Find best way to verify disk and Repair Permissions is booting from install DVD, go to Utilities>Disk Utility and running from there. Be patient. It appears Leopard demands much more from this operation so be patient.

OP
C
Reaction score
THanks Harry, I have to admit since the rebuild, my earlier post, and the permissions "repair", the iBook does seem a lot more stable, so maybe it helped after all.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One more thing I would try is a little shareware program called Macaroni from Atomic Bird. For about $10 this little program runs all the maintenance programs under OS X, and can be set to run daily, weekly etc.

Version 2.1 is Leopard compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.