iLife '06 to '08 worth it for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz, 1GB RAM
I have 10.5, and I am just getting into using iPhoto, as I got a new camera.

From the standpoint of photo editing, organization, and some video making or DVD burning, is the upgrade to '08 really worth it?

Eighty seems to be kind of a lot to me, and I'm wondering if the new features justify the cost?

I will most likely mainly be using iPhoto, and a little bit of garage band and iMovie, and perhaps rarely iDVD - I doubt I will use iWeb anytime soon - so do you think the new features are worth it?

Sorry for the ramblings, rather tired.

Thanks,
Massasoit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
For iPhoto, sure. It's nicer, though I use Aperture. For iMovie, I like the 06 one better, which you can get if you have iLife 08. I posted a thread about it recently.

If you're not sure about it, go to an apple store or find someone that has 08 and try it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I think as a package iLife is worth it.
You get better editing in iPhoto and I feel I have better control and Integration with the other Apps on my Mac.
However there are many good Photo editing apps for the mac out there. There are so many a search here on the forum will turn up quite a few.

Everyone has a favourite. I use both iPhoto and Pixelmator. These are a personal choice. I used iPhoto 6 for a while too and iPhoto 7 is an improvement

As for the other iLife apps I can't answer for them I do use iWeb for making photo pages which is easy and fun .

Go along to an Apple store if you have one near and try iPhoto there. Search the forum. Try Gimp. You have lots to try out there.

I do Recommend if money is tight look for alternatives first

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I really liked iLife 06 and thought that there was no real value to be found in updating to '08.

I was chatting to a colleague and he said to me that if I use iPhoto to organise/manage my photo library then '08 was worth the upgrade alone.

I wasn't convinced but went along to my local Apple premium partner or what-ever they're called and iPhoto did indeed impress me - I did go for '08 and while I don't completely agree with his statement that iPhoto justifies the cost in itself - I DO think iLife 08 is worth buying.

I only use iPhoto to be honest - GarageBand is cool and I like to tinker every now and then but I ain't used it enough to see any benefits from the new version.

I love iPhoto Events - they make it really easy to manage your photos in a visually pleasing way. I like that you can modify what I think is called exif data so I can correct my photo dates as my previous camera was forever forgetting the date and so I ended up with a few hundred pictures taken on the same day... iPhoto 06 didn't seem to have the ability to change this information no matter how many times I tried it still sorted the photos by the cameras date... iPhoto 08 makes it easy to modify this information.

Perhaps the only thing I'm not too keen on in iPhoto 08 is that it saves your entire library as a single file. I only became aware of this the other day when my sister wanted a few of my photos to be placed on her digital photo frame thingy - iPhoto 06 had a folder structure from which the originals could be taken from for situations like this - iPhoto 08 has a single file Luckily you can use iPhoto 08 to export files - so for example I created an album in iPhoto with the images she wanted and then exported the files (images) to her photo frame (which appears as an external hard drive).

OP
Massasoit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz, 1GB RAM
Are there any programs that will also import pictures from the camera and organize them, as well as allow you to edit?

And does iLife '08 go more with the theme of Leopard, in terms of looks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
I didn't see anything with iLife going in with looks with Leopard. It's iLife.... :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.