New Leopard iMac, What's the graphics performance like?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 core Mac Pro, 21.5" iMac, 13" Macbook Pro, iPhone 4
Hi all,

I'm thinking of making the switch from PC to one of the new imacs and I was wondering what the graphics performance is like for new games? Now unlike a PC you obviously can't upgrade the graphics card on the imac and a Mac Pro would be overkill for me (both in power & price). So how good would a 20" 2.4GHz imac with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO perform?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
I have not tried games but I plan to. You should stay away from the 20" because of the video resolution - it is not very good. Surf this forum and you will see others complaining. The 24" which I have is good and I picked it because of the faster video card. The graphics are fine but as you mentioned since it is an all in one you will not be able to fool with the video after you buy it. Buy a Mac because it is a great machine but do lots more research before you come to the conclusion that it is a great gaming machine. Time will prove this but as of right now I can't confirm this.

Reaction score
i have the 20 inch 2.4ghz imac and i play all my windows games on it perfectly fine. i am currently playing crysis on medium settings and its all smoooth. I also have half life and far cry on the go all running on high settings on vista. It has a semi-decent video card that supports DX10 so you can play games with it just fine.

Reaction score
I've got a 20" iMac 2.16 GHz and I've played Call of Duty 2 on it just fine with the highest resolution settings and it never even slowed down. That's about the only graphically intense game i've played though, until i get boot camp going for CoD 4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme, 500+500GB HD, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.5.1
Hey,

I have played a large selection of games on my iMac, on windows through bootcamp, and I have never had a problem with graphics. Everything works great. Sometimes with my favorite game Supreme Commander, the FPS would greatly reduce during an intense battle. I believe however, that this isnt so much an issue with the mac, as it is with the game, as sup com has brought every single one of my friends super PCs to their knees also! And I mean super PCs!

Butttt, I really think you will be just fine.

The sooner companies start making some really great games for the mac to start with the better.

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not tried games but I plan to. You should stay away from the 20" because of the video resolution - it is not very good. Surf this forum and you will see others complaining. The 24" which I have is good and I picked it because of the faster video card. The graphics are fine but as you mentioned since it is an all in one you will not be able to fool with the video after you buy it. Buy a Mac because it is a great machine but do lots more research before you come to the conclusion that it is a great gaming machine. Time will prove this but as of right now I can't confirm this.

Thanks for your reply.
I don't understand what you mean with regards to the poor resolution on the 20"? Its 1680x1050 with is what I'm running on my PC at the momment and I think it is fine. Surly the higher resolution of the 24" will only slow the graphics down further as the card has to do more.

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The sooner companies start making some really great games for the mac to start with the better.

As long as I can play Unreal Tournament 2004 & the new UT3 that'll do me :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.