Server RAM vs. "normal" RAM

Reaction score
First of all, I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking for a while. Nice to be here.

Now my question: I have a G4 867Mhz Quicksilver with 640 Megs of RAM (512 + 128). I want more RAM (PC 133). I found a stick of 512 on craigslist for $15 but it's out of a server. The only difference I can see is an extra chip on the stick and the fact that it's 64meg x 72 versus the normal RAMs 64megs x 64. WHat does this 64megs x 72 stuff mean? The voltage and pin count and everything else are the same, so can I use this and save 45 bucks, or if I buy this will I just be spending the 60 later anyway?

Here are the two

Recommended RAM: http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=46B60C2AA5CA7304

Craigslist RAM:http://www.stsi.net/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sfid=104074&c=666240&i=234482111

Thanks!

OP
J
Reaction score
Voltage, pins, speed, everything matches up except the 64megs x 64 thing. I don't know what that part means. The IT guy here says what the heck try it and you're only out 15 bucks if it doesn't work. But I'm cheap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
RAM is RAM is RAM.
There is no 'PC' RAM, no 'Mac' RAM, no 'Server' RAM, no "normal" RAM. There is only RAM.
Sure it comes, in different specs and if it matches the specs for the machine you have, then get it.
If it doesn't, then don't.
:)

Gaz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHz / Mac Mini 1.66 GHz
the 64megs x 72 is the width and depth of each module, it's mostly for the maths..

if you have 64 by 64, you times those together and divide by 8 to get your ram size.

if you have 64 by 72, you times those together and divide by 9 to get your ram size.

if crucial recommends 64 by 64 then get that, as i believe from the calculations that there is an extra module, so there is a good chance that 64 x 72 ram won't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Actually, server RAM wouldn't work. Server RAM has additional features not used by non-server type motherboards/ logicboards.

ECC - Error Correction Code. It will detect errors and try to fix them but only if the motherboard supports ECC. Most desktop computers do not support ECC.
Buffered/ Unbuffered - Most desktop motherboards are unbuffered. The data is sent to any RAM module. If the motherboard supports buffered RAM, it will send the data to one DIMM (or more if needed) but it will make full use of that DIMM before it uses a second or third.
Non-server RAM is actually 29% faster because it doesn't use any of these features.
Mac Pro uses RD-SDRAM. Each DIMM has a built-in chip that monitors data and configures each DIMM for optimization of output.

ECC RAM might work in not supported board. Buffered RAM won't work in unsupported boards. Because server RAM has ECC and it's also buffered, it will only work on a server board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.