Clamshell memory compatibility question

Reaction score
I bought a 512 PC133 stick for my 466Mhz SE Clamshell, after being assured that it would work.
It doesn't seem to work. At startup, I get a little folder icon with an apple in the middle, then a question mark. Never the larger Apple icon.
I'm assuming that the OS can't configure to the new memory.
Is there any way to set this up to take this memory, or is it simply incompatible?
If it's incompatible, am I limited to PC100, or is it that I'm over reaching by going for 512?
TIA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You need PC66 RAM not PC133. There wasn't an iBook that uses PC133 RAM.
I would suspect someone said it was backwards compatible. Most RAM is backwards compatible, just not on Macs. I've seen a lot of issues with backwards compatibility with Macs and RAM.

The folder icon with the question mark usually means there is no OS installed. If you uninstall the new RAM, does everything work properly?

OP
J
Reaction score
Yep. I go back to the original 256 ram and it boots up fine. Go back to the 512 & I get the little 'no go' folder.
I guess you can't expect better-than-cheap support for cheap ram.
Thanks for the quick answer (the truth hurts sometimes).
Now that I have this ram that's of no use to me, who can use it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yep. I go back to the original 256 ram and it boots up fine. Go back to the 512 & I get the little 'no go' folder.
I guess you can't expect better-than-cheap support for cheap ram.
Thanks for the quick answer (the truth hurts sometimes).
Now that I have this ram that's of no use to me, who can use it?

Define cheap RAM? (brand & price) I don't care for the brand debate. I've used many brands and haven't had a problem ever. Apple uses Hynix RAM in their current models. It's probably not on most people's lists of great RAM manufacturers.

Sell it on eBay and get what you need.

I got started messing with old G3 PowerBooks and Clamshells. PM me if you ever have a quick question. I no longer own a laptop so I rarely post in the Apple Notebook threads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.