Orderd a MacBook Pro... My 1st mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 2.6, 4GB, 200 GB, Hi-Res Glossy
Ordered my MacBook Pro today! I went with the 17" 2.6ghz, 4 GB RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM drive setup and went ahead and picked up a dock, 30" display and 1TB drive for backups along with some other goodies.

I also picked up some software, Final Cut Express, Aperture 1.5, Roxio Toast and Roxio Crunch.

I've been lurking on the forums for awhile know. I've done a lot of research and I think I've gone with the right setup for my needs.

I've been an IT Consultant for over 10 years mainly focused on Windows based servers, so the MAC will be a bit of a learning curve for me, but I am ready and willing to learn. I am actually REALLY excited about being a "switcher".

I hate to admit it but I use to be one that thought "Mac's sucked" and that "Mac's were only good for graphics (out of ignorance and lack of experience) but the more I read, and the more demos I see, the more it just all seemed to make alot of sense to me.

I spend A LOT of time maintaining the WIndows OS, at the office at home, for family, and I think I've just grown tired of all the trickery you have to pull to make it "just work".

I hope the MacBook Pro lives up to me expectations, and I look forward to exchanging info with everyon on here in the future!

;D

BigDaddyMAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
you have 1TB of external storage?? Thats amazing....

Congrats for your new acquisition and welcome to MAC World

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Welcome to the Mac universe, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

OP
BigDaddyMAC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, 1 TB.. I picked up an external 1 TB disk for less than $300. It is really amazing how cheap disk space is these days! I was just talking about that with a co-worker today about how cheap RAM and hard drives are...

I plan on doing a lot of video and photo work with the MAC so I think I'll need the space eventually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
And I thought I had went all out when I bought mine! Congrats! You'll love it. I've had mine since 9/24, and I get so much more useful time out of the day with it.

OP
BigDaddyMAC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, lets just say its a good thing the girlfriend dosen't realize how much this stuff costs... its hard to say I don't have the money for a ring... when I bring home a bundle like this :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Yeah, lets just say its a good thing the girlfriend dosen't realize how much this stuff costs... its hard to say I don't have the money for a ring... when I bring home a bundle like this :)

A ring will last forever, that setup won't. I would have went with a nicer ring and a Mini.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Looks like a nice set up for most anyone's needs.
Welcome to the boards.

With your Win experience am sure you'll make quick work familiarizing yourself with System Preferences. Grab MainMenu for regular system maintenance. That's pretty much all you'll need. Balance of my advice: don't waste the first month trying to figure out what else there is to tweak, just start enjoying your new rig.

PS. You've probably already found it, if not, eric's switcher's faq is one of the best anywhere

OP
BigDaddyMAC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A ring will last forever, that setup won't. I would have went with a nicer ring and a Mini.

And that my friend is the difference between your geekyness and mine ;D

Just kidding I get your point, but right now believe it or not the Mac makes more sense for me...

OP
BigDaddyMAC
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like a nice set up for most anyone's needs.
Welcome to the boards.

With your Win experience am sure you'll make quick work familiarizing yourself with System Preferences. Grab MainMenu for regular system maintenance. That's pretty much all you'll need. Balance of my advice: don't waste the first month trying to figure out what else there is to tweak, just start enjoying your new rig.

PS. You've probably already found it, if not, eric's switcher's faq is one of the best anywhere

Thanks for all the good info, it is much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
And that my friend is the difference between your geekyness and mine ;D

Just kidding I get your point, but right now believe it or not the Mac makes more sense for me...

I'd rather have a lower end machine and a happy wife than have a sweet setup and be single. :p
Luckily, my g/f doesn't care what I spend my money on when it comes to electronics. Right now she's pushing me to buy that $900 round bed they sell at Ikea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.