Is it worth to buy a G4 1.5 powerbook now?

I

Icecrawler

Hi!
im new here but been using mac for a long time. Actually i´ve been using both and im quite tired of PC and im thinking of completely switching over. The thing is that im looking for a comp for editing video and photo but for everything. Ive thought of a powerbook but the thing is that they are still G4 and the switch to G5 sounds inminent. Can any of you guys tell approximately who long will it be before we see any g5 powerbooks around? Do you guys think its worth buying a G4 right now?

Nacho

OP
M

monsterke

Icecrawler said:
Hi!
im new here but been using mac for a long time. Actually i´ve been using both and im quite tired of PC and im thinking of completely switching over. The thing is that im looking for a comp for editing video and photo but for everything. Ive thought of a powerbook but the thing is that they are still G4 and the switch to G5 sounds inminent. Can any of you guys tell approximately who long will it be before we see any g5 powerbooks around? Do you guys think its worth buying a G4 right now?

Nacho

I have purchased a 1,5 G4 PB only a week ago ... also a PC switcher ... I'm very happy with it :D

G5 Powerbook will launch somewhere in 2005....

you can always wait a year... but I am happy I didn't because I love my PB

OP
O

octohunter

By the looks of the G5 imac it appears as though the powerbooks are right around the corner. Just remove the display stand from the new model and you're almost there. I'd imagine Apple will release the powerbooks before the holidays. Their stock has been hurting until very recently and they need a strong sales season.
This new release really makes their current top-end line seem rather dated. They'll do something soon. However, I love my G4 powerbook. It does more than I need. I'm going to stick with it for about a year. I try to never be a guinnea pig for a new model. Plus, the G5 imac will have some upgrades after the initial hype is over. The new models always do.

OP
I

iSheep

There are no signs and I've read nothing at all about G5 PowerBooks coming soon - also, as I discussed in another thread, it's actually much harder than you think to get a G5 into a PowerBook.

First of all - heat. The iMac G5 has got all that heat coming out of the thingy at the top - nice. Also, it has an unlimted supply of power to burn. The G5 will require a lot of cooling and a lot of power to keep it going - not ideal for a notebook. Also remember, that while the iMac G5 is small, it isn't as small as a PowerBook.

I think people putting dates in to get a PowerBook G5 is March 2005 - but we'll see. Check out http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ for some more info.

I've orded a 12" PowerBook which should arrive this week or next - if it only lasts until next March, then oh well - it's still pretty good - I'll wait for the G6 :)

OP
D

daughter_anna

if you want to switch, i don't think i'd recommend switching to the powerbook g5. i'm sorry, but the g5 is not practical for a laptop. but that's just me. plus, if you do switch over and get the powerbook g4, i promise you.. you will not regret it. i just got my new powerbook about 2 weeks ago and i am soo in love. it is my best purchase of the year! goodluck in finding the powerbook you want though :)

OP
S

SexyHT

daughter_anna said:
if you want to switch, i don't think i'd recommend switching to the powerbook g5. i'm sorry, but the g5 is not practical for a laptop. but that's just me. plus, if you do switch over and get the powerbook g4, i promise you.. you will not regret it. i just got my new powerbook about 2 weeks ago and i am soo in love. it is my best purchase of the year! goodluck in finding the powerbook you want though :)

I dont think that is true a g5 should be made for a powerbook. With Amd athlon 64's in notebooks I think it is about time for apple to relase powerbook g5. I mean There going to have to have top speeds of up top 2.5ghz to be comparable to an Amd athlon g4 3700+ and by then amd would relase their dual core chips. I would wait cause they are going to introduce new powerbooks g5 or an updated g4. But right now those speeds of the powerbook is comparable to a 2.4ghz pentium 4. But I have to admitt I own an powerbook g4 17inch 1.5ghz. The reason I couldnt wait I had to buy one. I own just about every apple you can think of. SO i would say if you need the powerbook go and get it if you could wait then hold off cowboy. take care and maek the right choice

OP
D

dodjy001

from what i have read, ibm hasn't produced a mobile G5 processor as of yet. but apple are expected to release a dual core G4 processor which should reach 2 gig.

but don't quote me :)

i'm just waiting to see what happens, don't need one now, more a case of wanting one :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12 inch 1.33 GHz 512MB RAM
dodjy001 said:
from what i have read, ibm hasn't produced a mobile G5 processor as of yet. but apple are expected to release a dual core G4 processor which should reach 2 gig.

but don't quote me :)

i'm just waiting to see what happens, don't need one now, more a case of wanting one :D

i dont think you guys under\stand how hard it is to get everything the g5 has into a notebook there wont be a powerbook or ibook g5 for at least another 1.5 years, and AMD isnt as good as windows and thats isnt as good as and apple so therefore apple shouldnt need to worry about keeping up with AMD or for that matter any pc company becuase they are already ahead

OP
S

SexyHT

aantoine90 said:
i dont think you guys under\stand how hard it is to get everything the g5 has into a notebook there wont be a powerbook or ibook g5 for at least another 1.5 years, and AMD isnt as good as windows and thats isnt as good as and apple so therefore apple shouldnt need to worry about keeping up with AMD or for that matter any pc company becuase they are already ahead

First of all apples is not ahead when it comes to prefromance. And no way is apple ahead using old g4 that cant even keep up with last years technology. And their is no way that a dual 2.5ghzs would be even comparable to a pentium 4 4ghz alienware or the alienware ALX. BUT they are decades ahead windows when it comes to reliablity and ease of use :D

OP
D

dodjy001

aantoine90 said:

oh i understand, just need to look at the size of everything in the tower sitting next too me. they have done well to fit everything into the 2 inch's or so of the new imac.
if they managed to fit a G5 in they would most likely have some serious cooling problems aswell, specially in a 12 inch
i went to the apple shop last night and asked the guy there about the pbooks. he doesn't know what is going to happen yet but his advice was too wait and see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.