BootCamp Partitioning Size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
I am about to install Windows XP on my MacBook. About how large should I make the partition for strictly the OS with enough room so it wont become bogged down ?? I believe I heard 20% of free space is recommended.

Thanks ~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
15GB is what i have with a external hdd for games and programs. You could go as low as 10GB but thats not recommended plus its not a good size.

OP
Nagger Pumper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
15GB is what i have with a external hdd for games and programs. You could go as low as 10GB but thats not recommended plus its not a good size.

I just plan on installing the OS with one game and various word documents. That sounds like a good size, thanks.

By the way, how much GB do you have left over from all that you have installed ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
about 7.5GB i had vista ultimate not xp though (vista has a larger install memory take up) but if you get an external HDD you should be able to run most games and programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Install XP and you will conserve a <insert antonym of heaven> of a lot of space...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I would make it a little bigger than 10GB...
mine is 32GB and I'm now regretting making it that small

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^^

OP said:
I just plan on installing the OS with one game and various word documents.
10GB with XP and a game seems fine to me. Unless of course you plan on some of the cutting edge modern games. Gears of War for instance takes up 12GB in which case you had better keep at least 15-20GB space...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But you can do 15GB and install games on an external HDD (am i the only one that knows this it easier on the mac you have as well more space for it self)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
^^
I still have 45gb free space on my Macintosh HD partition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 15" 2.4, 4 gig ram, 200gig hd
External HD

Hey Northy,
I have been searching these posts for some answers. You seem to have something interesting here. Did you install windows and the software on an external hd? You just boot into it? Thanks for the info. I am still trying to decide between boot camp and parallels for my mediamonkey music player.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.