iTunes locks up my iMac

Reaction score
I bought an iMac three days ago and have been ripping my CD collection steadily ever since.

The computer has locked up a few times when I switch songs in iTunes while ripping the CD. At least I think it locks up, I get the swirly rainbow cursor and can't do anything.

It hasn't been a big deal, the computer reboots quickly, but is there anywhere I can log this issue?

Edit: It happened again. While iTunes is ripping the CD, I click the >> button until I move to the song I want to hear and it's a song that has been ripped. I'm pretty sure iTunes is playing the .m4a and not trying to read the CD. I'm not sure where to post this issue.

Reaction score
I bought an iMac three days ago and have been ripping my CD collection steadily ever since.

The computer has locked up a few times when I switch songs in iTunes while ripping the CD. At least I think it locks up, I get the swirly rainbow cursor and can't do anything.

It hasn't been a big deal, the computer reboots quickly, but is there anywhere I can log this issue?

Edit: It happened again. While iTunes is ripping the CD, I click the >> button until I move to the song I want to hear and it's a song that has been ripped. I'm pretty sure iTunes is playing the .m4a and not trying to read the CD. I'm not sure where to post this issue.

Did you buy the iMac new??? What version of OSX does it have on it?

OP
drh3010
Reaction score
Did you buy the iMac new??? What version of OSX does it have on it?

Leopard version 10.5.1

I finished ripping my CDs today and tried to reproduce the problem but couldn't. Not a big deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If it is a new machine, over the first couple of days the Mac is running a Spotlight index of your hard drive, that might slow things down.

If your machine is no longer slowing down so much, the main Spotlight index is done, it will only do incremental indexes from now on

Reaction score
If it is a new machine, over the first couple of days the Mac is running a Spotlight index of your hard drive, that might slow things down.

If your machine is no longer slowing down so much, the main Spotlight index is done, it will only do incremental indexes from now on

Good point... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.