Quantum Fireballp Lm30.0

Reaction score
HELP PLS

My HD FILE - QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30.0
(is saying that the drive has reported a fatal hardware error to disk utility

if the drive has not failed completely. back up as much data as you can then replace it with a working drive).

I notice this problem before when i went About this Mac... I know that my computer needs lots of upgrades and i just need to know what to do in this situation.. I recently updated from mac os 10.2 to 10.4 and since i did that i been having all types of problems. For example i cannot save or delete any files to my desktop. Please help

My ATA info reads
ATA Bus:

QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30.0:

Capacity: 27.96 GB
Model: QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30.0
Revision: A35.0700
Serial Number:
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ATA
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: Yes
S.M.A.R.T. status: Failing

I DONT HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD... WELL that i know of.. I want to know what the best that i can get... well i think what i have is ATY,Rage128Pro

i have a Mac OS X 10.4.11
Dual 450MHZ PowePC G4
1.25 GB SDRAM

Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do have a graphics card and probably a Rage 128 16MB Pro or you would get no picture. An ATI Radeon 8500 to 900 would probably be the go, as assume the machine being a DP it is a Gigabit Ethernet with a 2XAGP slot?

That message SMART failing tells it all - replace asap. If the drive still operates, get a say a 7200 RPM 8MB cache 80GB replacement, Western Digital and Seagate are good, install the new drive as slave, and use a program such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner to back up current drive.

Then remove failing drive, install new drive as master changing the switches and all should be well. If the drive will not back up you will need the OS X.4 retail (black) DVD and not the grey coloured model specific discs.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help. But i have no idea how to install or do any of the info you gave me. Anyone knows where i can go to get this done.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thank you so much for your help. But i have no idea how to install or do any of the info you gave me. Anyone knows where i can go to get this done.

An Apple Store - or any computer repair shop that is familiar with Macs. Where are you located?

Also, please note that is generally considered to be "bad form" to post a new thread on the same subject more than once. Please pick the appropriate forum, post your question and then wait for a response before posting again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.