And here it is!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Well i think it looks pretty cool . What's not to like it's a Mac !
If and when i get the money i was gona buy an eMac or an iMac G4 to upgrade , but now i think it's gotta be an iMac G5 .

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
rman said:
If you look at the Apple design page you will see why the bottom is bigger.

I believe after you see it in person, most would think differently.

That just shows one more bad thing in the design:
The power supply, which is the main reason for the big bottom, is placed in a way so that all the heat it produces goes over the whole mainboard before getting out of the case. Knowing that, after the CPU, the power supply is the hottest part in a computer, that is not a very efficient cooling...even with their 3 ventilators creating a constant airflow...I think one of the first changes in next revisions to come will be an external power supply, which would reduce the ugly white space to about half it's size...
Really, there are only two things that bother me on the new iMac, it's that fat whiteboard and the nVidia 5200. Except for that, it's really great, and I like the fact to have everything in one case, opposed to the kinda "split-case" design of the G4 (which is cool too, in it's own way ;) )

M

MoltenLava

You can't put the power supply on the top. That'll make the computer top heavy and will be prone to tip over.

I'd much prefer having a power brick, just like laptops, instead of a built in power supply. I'm pretty sure the Apple engineers have explored that option. Maybe the power requirement of iMac cannot be satisfied with external power brick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Zero, want facts? I really do hate the bezel. I know it contributes to the cooling and all but really! I do like the way the engineers placed the stuff inside. Very Space-saving. Espically since i have like no room on my desks. But, I would perfer a Powerbook. Portability all the way! Gimme a PB G5 and you'll see me tote it around like P.Diddy and his diamond encrusted iPod! :cool:

B

braniffman

Well on first glance, I must say that I am not too impressed as it seems to lack that 'Cool' factor that Apple is known for. As a matter of fact, this is only one of 2 Apple designs that have not initally bowled me over since I stated using Macs in the late 80s. However, I will withhold final judgement until I have a chance to see one up close and personal as well as getting the chance to play around with a demo model. The lack of additional RAM and FW800 certainly does not help. Still I am looking foward to taking one for a spin when they hit the shelves in the coming months.

Thomas

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't recall seeing firewire 800 on the previous iMac or even the iBook. I thought firewire 800 is only on the pro line.

I think there is more of a wow factor, than a cool factor. As in look how must less desk space it takes up.

S

steviecam

I too am slightly unsure about the new Imac, I think i need to see it properly and play around with it in the shop before putting my STILL fantastically stylish 17" G4 Imac up for sale! All that extra power though is very tempting and I would like to just slap my order in ... but i will wait .. maybe! :confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
What's all the fuss about a missing FW800 port?!?
The only FW800 devices I saw yet were external drives, and due to the fact that FW400 itself is still faster than transfer rates of any harddisk, I don't really see the need for it.
BTW, FW800 actually it's a Mac-only feature...

So FW800 is not really missing...it's unnecessary...

S

steviecam

I think the fuss is probably because people are looking at buying the new Imac and keeping it for the next few years, gradually more external devices will use the FW800!!

If its available ..... we want it!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
steviecam said:
I think the fuss is probably because people are looking at buying the new Imac and keeping it for the next few years, gradually more external devices will use the FW800!!

If its available ..... we want it!! :D

Well, just take it this way then:
A series 3 BMW doesn't have the same equipment and options than a series 7... :D

S

steviecam

Does anyone know if upgrading the memory and puting the aircards in is just as easy as the current Imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love student discount (sig)
Take 3 screws off and the back comes off off and just put them in

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.